Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to 135791
Default Re: No more floppy drives!

yeh i get ur piont but i aint got a floppy drive ive just go a cd-rom and cd-rw
cd-r disks r a pain in the ass

135791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:36 PM   #52
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Slayer Send a message via MSN to Slayer Send a message via Yahoo to Slayer

But look how cheap it is to get a floppy drive nowadays ... You could probably buy one for a little over a fiver.

Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:40 PM   #53
Golden Master

i am goin to get one eventually but i cant open up my computer till christmas if i do it will break the warrenty
Old 05-26-2004, 12:41 PM   #54
Golden Master

also your scenario is ok but what if its the floppy drive tht breaks
Old 05-26-2004, 01:01 PM   #55
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Slayer Send a message via MSN to Slayer Send a message via Yahoo to Slayer

... then you'll have the CD - Rom as back up. If you have a CD - Rom on it's own, you can't do anything. If you have a floppy drive on it's own, you can't do anything. However, if you have both, then you can rely on either if one of them decides to destroy itself.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:31 AM   #56
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to Novartic_ Send a message via Yahoo to Novartic_

Id get 1 floppy drive 1 LS120 drive, 1 dvd-rw and 1 cd-rw
Video:800 x 600 in64KColors.
O/S:Windows XP Pro SP2 CRACKED. PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE MY SIG, IT HAS BEEN THE SAME FOR 2 YEARS SO LEAVE IT.
Novartic_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:47 AM   #57
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocker
But put yourself in this position :

You have a CD - ROM, no Floppy Drive.

Your CD - ROM packs up and kills itself. You want to change the OS on your comp to something like ... Linux. What do you do? You're helpless, unless you spend another 20 on a new CD - ROM.

OR

You have a Floppy Drive, and you can use Floppies to Install Linux. Problem solved.
CD-ROMs very rarely pack up; and if they did it would be a blessing not to install Linux! And you're not helpless becuase you have Windows still - as always holding up the Computer where Linux failed.

Quote:
Ok, the situation I created is crap, but the point stays the same. Floppy Disks and Floppy Drives are still a good back up if something goes wrong with your CD - ROM. Plus, with some of the Data burning programs around, some git decided it would be fun to make CD's un rewritable if using their program once something has already been put on it:
Lol - Windows Burning program does not do that - Nero does not do that - why does it matter? Anyway; we shouldn't be talking about CDs because the Computers of the Future without Floppy Drives, and lets face it, will have DVDs and DVD-Writers. Why talk about OLD Computers that do have Floppy Drives already when we're talking about a new thing where DVD-Writers are commonplace.

Quote:
You want to put a picture on another comp that isn't connected to the net. Solution? Shove it on a CD and load it up from there. No, wait, you use of those Spawn of Satan data burning programs. Wahey! You've just wasted a 700MB CD by putting a 50kb picture on it. Why not just use a floppy?
Don't bring your bad experiences onto something about this! CD Writing programs don't destroy CDs. And most people use Windows or Nero which don't do this unless there's something wrong with the CD/DVD-Writer.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:59 AM   #58
Golden Master

i got 1 cd-rom drive and 1 cd-rw and i want floppy and dvd-rw
Old 05-27-2004, 01:19 PM   #59
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

Can't be too hard ot find a floppy - but it probably is to get one to fit in the space instead of in a 3 1/2 Bay. You'll probably only have 3 Bays and if you ask me you'll want a DVD Writer more than an outdated Floppy.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:32 PM   #60
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kalthorn
CD-ROMs very rarely pack up; and if they did it would be a blessing not to install Linux! And you're not helpless becuase you have Windows still - as always holding up the Computer where Linux failed.
If you look, I said "Should the user wish to change OSs" ... I don't care whether Windows is good or not, but the situation still counts.

Quote:
Lol - Windows Burning program does not do that - Nero does not do that - why does it matter? Anyway; we shouldn't be talking about CDs because the Computers of the Future without Floppy Drives, and lets face it, will have DVDs and DVD-Writers. Why talk about OLD Computers that do have Floppy Drives already when we're talking about a new thing where DVD-Writers are commonplace.
Once again, look at what I said. SOME CD burners do this. I'm not accusing Windows or Nero of it at all. But alot of people do use other programs in place of either Nero or Windows' version.

Quote:
Don't bring your bad experiences onto something about this! CD Writing programs don't destroy CDs. And most people use Windows or Nero which don't do this unless there's something wrong with the CD/DVD-Writer.
As above. Who said anything about a bad experience of mine? All I'm saying is, some programs DO duff up CD's in that way. If a user has one of the those programs, then it certainly would be beneficial to have a Floppy Drive.