No Monitor Signal After New CPU!!

stuiedaman

Baseband Member
Hi all! I just upgraded my cpu from an AMD Athlon to an AMD Phenon x6. My computer is hooked up to my LCD tv through DVI converted to HDMI (the VGA port on my tv is broken). When I turn my computer on, the fans spin (includng the cpu fan) and everything turns on: the hard drive, lights, etc. I can't power down from the front button and am forced to unplug after 10 minutes or so. No auto-power down or beeps. I asked a fellow computer guy on his take and he said to leave on for a long time, possibly overnight, as it sometims takes a while to be detected. It has now been 7 hours and still nada. Also, when I plug the old cpu back in it works. I also tried a VGA monitor, both through the video card and just using the motherboard VGA. Thanks for taking a look!

Take the bios battery out, wait 2 minutes, put back in. You do this on any new hardware installation. When i had my new cpu it wouldn't even boot until i reset the bios. Tell us if this worked.

Your going to need to do a fresh install since you added new parts. Things like changing out the motherboard or changing out the CPU can confuse your system when it tried to boot to windows. Press F12 as well if you can and see if you can boot from disc and if itll show you even a prompt. Also what is your post code or beeps cause then we can analyze your problem from that.

I had the computer off with the new cpu in, took the battery out and left it out for 10 minutes (had to take shower), put it back in, turned it on; nothing. I tried on the vga monitor too but still nothing.

Your going to need to do a fresh install since you added new parts. Things like changing out the motherboard or changing out the CPU can confuse your system when it tried to boot to windows. Press F12 as well if you can and see if you can boot from disc and if itll show you even a prompt. Also what is your post code or beeps cause then we can analyze your problem from that.

Nothing comes on screen so getting to the boot menu isn't going to be possible. There are no beeps.

have you tried putting the old cpu back in? and seeing if it still works with that one?

Yup, it works

We may be better able to help if we can refer to the motherboard manual, which we can look up with the motherboard make and model.

A full reinstall of the operating system is huge overkill here. Just swapping out a processor on the same motherboard has never forced me to do a re-install. Quite the opposite, I've never had to. Same with pulling the CMOS after every hardware change. More RAM/new video card? It's just a waste of time to force a reset of your BIOS when the computer will pick up the change and run anyways.

I looked at the manual of the motherboard, and it mentions no support for anything above a dual-core CPU from what I saw at quick glance, and the newest BIOS doesn't say much of anything in terms of what it fixed/added. My gut feeling is that the processor simply is not supported as the BIOS has no clue how to interact with it.

A full reinstall of the operating system is huge overkill here. Just swapping out a processor on the same motherboard has never forced me to do a re-install. Quite the opposite, I've never had to. Same with pulling the CMOS after every hardware change. More RAM/new video card? It's just a waste of time to force a reset of your BIOS when the computer will pick up the change and run anyways.

I looked at the manual of the motherboard, and it mentions no support for anything above a dual-core CPU from what I saw at quick glance, and the newest BIOS doesn't say much of anything in terms of what it fixed/added. My gut feeling is that the processor simply is not supported as the BIOS has no clue how to interact with it.

So what should I do? Buy a new Mobo? What do I need to look for in one to be compatible with my cpu?

How about this one? Would I need a new power supply?
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TA880GU3+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Back
Top Bottom