Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-30-2011, 03:34 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Exclamation No Monitor Signal After New CPU!!

Hi all! I just upgraded my cpu from an AMD Athlon to an AMD Phenon x6. My computer is hooked up to my LCD tv through DVI converted to HDMI (the VGA port on my tv is broken). When I turn my computer on, the fans spin (includng the cpu fan) and everything turns on: the hard drive, lights, etc. I can't power down from the front button and am forced to unplug after 10 minutes or so. No auto-power down or beeps. I asked a fellow computer guy on his take and he said to leave on for a long time, possibly overnight, as it sometims takes a while to be detected. It has now been 7 hours and still nada. Also, when I plug the old cpu back in it works. I also tried a VGA monitor, both through the video card and just using the motherboard VGA. Thanks for taking a look!

stuiedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
Solid State Member

Default Re: No Monitor Signal After New CPU!!

have you tried putting the old cpu back in? and seeing if it still works with that one?

animostical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
In Runtime

Take the bios battery out, wait 2 minutes, put back in. You do this on any new hardware installation. When i had my new cpu it wouldn't even boot until i reset the bios. Tell us if this worked.
krone6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
In Runtime

Your going to need to do a fresh install since you added new parts. Things like changing out the motherboard or changing out the CPU can confuse your system when it tried to boot to windows. Press F12 as well if you can and see if you can boot from disc and if itll show you even a prompt. Also what is your post code or beeps cause then we can analyze your problem from that.
VGA: 2 Sapphire Radeon 5850 Toxic Edition Video Cards Xfire'd
HD: 3TB Western Digital Caviar Black
RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 Ram
PSU: Corsair 850TX Enthusiast Edition
Drives: 1x Sony Optaric Blu-Ray Drive, 1x Lite-on DVD RW Drive
Cooling: Corsair H-70 Water Cooling
ETC: Razer Mamba Mouse, Logitech Z-5500's, 2x HP 27" 2709m Monitors
HafX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
Baseband Member

I had the computer off with the new cpu in, took the battery out and left it out for 10 minutes (had to take shower), put it back in, turned it on; nothing. I tried on the vga monitor too but still nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HafX View Post
Your going to need to do a fresh install since you added new parts. Things like changing out the motherboard or changing out the CPU can confuse your system when it tried to boot to windows. Press F12 as well if you can and see if you can boot from disc and if itll show you even a prompt. Also what is your post code or beeps cause then we can analyze your problem from that.
Nothing comes on screen so getting to the boot menu isn't going to be possible. There are no beeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animostical View Post
have you tried putting the old cpu back in? and seeing if it still works with that one?
Yup, it works
Old 06-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
In Runtime

We may be better able to help if we can refer to the motherboard manual, which we can look up with the motherboard make and model.
Chipeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #7
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipeater View Post
We may be better able to help if we can refer to the motherboard manual, which we can look up with the motherboard make and model.
Its an ECS HT2000 GeForce6100SM-M2 v1.0A. I think I got that right. Here's a link to the manual: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Dow...0&detailid=820
Old 06-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

A full reinstall of the operating system is huge overkill here. Just swapping out a processor on the same motherboard has never forced me to do a re-install. Quite the opposite, I've never had to. Same with pulling the CMOS after every hardware change. More RAM/new video card? It's just a waste of time to force a reset of your BIOS when the computer will pick up the change and run anyways.

I looked at the manual of the motherboard, and it mentions no support for anything above a dual-core CPU from what I saw at quick glance, and the newest BIOS doesn't say much of anything in terms of what it fixed/added. My gut feeling is that the processor simply is not supported as the BIOS has no clue how to interact with it.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
A full reinstall of the operating system is huge overkill here. Just swapping out a processor on the same motherboard has never forced me to do a re-install. Quite the opposite, I've never had to. Same with pulling the CMOS after every hardware change. More RAM/new video card? It's just a waste of time to force a reset of your BIOS when the computer will pick up the change and run anyways.

I looked at the manual of the motherboard, and it mentions no support for anything above a dual-core CPU from what I saw at quick glance, and the newest BIOS doesn't say much of anything in terms of what it fixed/added. My gut feeling is that the processor simply is not supported as the BIOS has no clue how to interact with it.
So what should I do? Buy a new Mobo? What do I need to look for in one to be compatible with my cpu?

How about this one? Would I need a new power supply?
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TA880GU3+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Old 06-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #10
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

If you are looking at that board, you would need to get new DDR3 memory to replace your DDR2 sticks.

Assuming this link works the way I hope it will, any of these should work for you:
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Motherboards, AMD Motherboards, DDR2 533, DDR2 667, DDR2 800, DDR2 1200, DDR2 1333, Phenom II / Phenom / Athlon II / ...

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote