No longer POSTing / no VGA signal

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hi all,
I'm trying to fix my sisters machine, which has stopped POST-ing (no post beeps, no VGA signal, but everything powers up / fans spin). The machine is just older than a year old. My sister reports that it only did it once every now and again, and it's become more and more common. I booted it up once since I've look at it but haven't been able to since.

I think I've narrowed it down to either motherboard or PSU. If I remove the RAM, the motherboard beeps constantly. I tried replacing with other RAM that I have, and the same problem occurred (so it's not the RAM). I tried removing the CMOS battery for 15-20 minutes and then replacing it, no change.

The motherboard is a cheap MSI All-in-One, and the PSU is a generic (numan) 450 watter. I have no spares for either of them, so I can't test to see which one is causing the problem. What else can I try?

Thanks
Rhys

As mentioned, I have no spares. I can't take the power supply out of this machine as it's fairly well tied up with cable ties and I'd prefer not ruin it if I can help it... if I had a spare power supply I would connect it and test it (just not put it in the case), but I don't.

No chance you can pull one from a different computer?

Do you have a PSU tester?

Try jumping the green to black pins with a paperclip, then use a volt meter to check if the voltages are okay.

Afraid I don't have any tools like that.
I only have 2 machines I can put a PSU from, but one is very difficult to pull apart, and the other is my own machine which I'm not willing to use.

I was hoping there might be some test that would make it more obvious whether the motherboard was the problem.

My sister reports that it only did it once every now and again, and it's become more and more common.

Pretty common issue when PSUs start to die. I remember my old Dell. Would do the same thing. I would turn the monitor on and find the computer off (this was years ago before I even started my computer shop). If I banged on the PSU, I could usually get it to fire. Finally it just died altogether.

It could still be something else, so I still suggest you test this theory.

Thanks mate.
I've purchased a new PSU (I figured I could use it on my HTPC which has a loud, old generic PSU if it's not the problem) - connected it all up, turned it on... nothing.

Considering the motherboard beeps if memory is removed though, I don't think it's all dead. I just found someone who has a spare video card that I can try - just in case it's the onboard gfx. If not, I'll go ahead and get a new motherboard =[

Thanks guys,
Rhys

Back
Top Bottom