Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default No keyboard or mouse

I came home from class today to a great surprise. All of a sudden my computer has decided to stop taking input from my keyboard or mouse. Earlier today it was working fine, but for some reason it hasn't ever since. This occurs during both bootup(can't get into BIOS) and at the Vista login screen.

I've tried restarting it, switching USB ports, and nothing has worked. I know it's not the keyboard or mouse because they both work on other computers. My monitor and speakers still work fine(both on separate video and sound cards). My iPod also is still detecting power coming from the port that it's plugged into.

I have another wireless mouse that I use occasionally and both it and my wired mouse are getting power, just no input. The only thing that isn't getting power is my keyboard.

I have a feeling it's a hardware issue, but I really dunno where to start. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

cldd5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Default Re: No keyboard or mouse

It's possible the USB bus has packed up on your board - have you got a PS/2 mouse / keyboard you can try, or a PCI USB card you can slot in there to see if that works?

Also, you say you've tried different ports but have you tried all of them? It could just be a dodgy header - worth trying them all rather than just a couple.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Default Re: No keyboard or mouse

Unfortunately I don't have either a PS/2 mouse or keyboard or a PCI USB card. I've tried pretty much all of the ports. I have a CoolerMaster CM690 with 2 USB ports on the top of the case. One of those ports is where my iPod draws power from, but the other also doesn't work for input.

I might have to go and get a PCI USB card this weekend.
cldd5678 is offline   Reply With Quote