No experience in building computers

Hey guys sorry for the late reply - but thanks for all the responses! I'll buy the PC book cwharms suggested and I read the guide posted by MattieDaShark83 which was very helpful and instantly bookmarked!

The only change to that thread's suggestion is I like the 'Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-BA Black Steel ATX Full Tower' better than the 'Rosewill R103A Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer'. With 4 fans and ATX compatibility, it would be fine with the ' BIOSTAR TFORCE 550 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 550 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard' wouldn't it?

Hey glad to here my guide helped you out. Have fun with the build and be sure to post back the results etc. If any problems do happen to come up when install time comes just post up a thread and will help you figure it out.

Hmm actually ordering all the parts may be about 3-5 weeks away but yeah I'd come back here and start a new thread, I still have some questions about choosing the parts though. So far, these are the parts I'm looking at:

Computer Case
Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-BA Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Motherboard
BIOSTAR TFORCE 550 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 550 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU (I can't find this on the site, what model should I get?)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz

RAM chips
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Video Card
EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16

Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Power Supply (Is there something better suited for the case I chose?)
Rosewill RP500-2 ATX 2.01 500W Power Supply

Purpose of desired computer: Counter Strike Source online play and The Sims 2 with all expansion packs.

Also
It's really late at night so I'm signing off now but I'm doing my research and developing a list of reasons for this to happen (I'm 17). So at the moment I have:

Why I chose:
BIOSTAR TFORCE 550 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 550 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

• The AM2 socket type supports my Athlon 64 CPU.
• 4x DDR2 800 240-pin memory slots with a 4GB total fits 2x 1GB RAM sticks.
• 4x SATA 3Gb/s connectors suit my 160GB SATA hard-disk very well.
• 6x USB 2.0 ports at the rear panel are more than enough with 4 onboard ports.

Why I chose:
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

• Reliable and rated 4/5 stars after 418 public reviews on NewEgg.com.
• The SATA 3.0Gb/s connects to the motherboard really well.
• Operates very quietly at 7200 RPM and keeps cool.

Are these correct? I noticed the back of my case only has 2 USB slots so the others on the motherboard can't really be used? (neatly anyway).

Best way to learn is by experience! Grab an old computer that you wouldn't care if it never worked again. (Or get one from the trash.) Sit at a big table with the computer (the tower part) and open it up. Just look around in there. Now get a screwdriver and take the whole thing apart. The whole thing. You don't really need to take the motherboard (biggest green board in the tower) out of the tower. Now try and put everything back the way you found it. It's like the baby toy, squares triangles and circles. You look at the bottom of one piece, and look for where youre supposed to put it on the motherboard. It's easy. If you don't get it right just keep trying. Eventually your brain will develop a basic understanding of what goes where. Now if you want to learn what they're called, browse through the hardware and software section.

Hey man you're like me, I want to build a fast computer that wont lag just for css and sims and internet browsing. I was thinking of getting 3800x2 brisbane and 1gb ram. cool.

edit. the other usbs are probably inside the case (for things like usb readers in 3.5inch slots. they don't even look like usb ports. so don't mind that. I thought the same thing when i was starting out with computers (i learned everything fromm this site! it is possible!)

Hey man you're like me, I want to build a fast computer that wont lag just for css and sims and internet browsing.

haha yeah I'm pretty simple, I don't want to play Assassin's Creed and BioShock and all those highly demanding games, I'm pretty much in it for those 2. I've picked a different RAM brand but I guess I'll be deciding between Intel and AMD and starting a new thread in about a week for more advice.

haha yeah I'm pretty simple, I don't want to play Assassin's Creed and BioShock and all those highly demanding games, I'm pretty much in it for those 2. I've picked a different RAM brand but I guess I'll be deciding between Intel and AMD and starting a new thread in about a week for more advice.

Or, just search through previous posts and save the whole Intel v AMD debate starting again :) there is no lack of previous topics about it (i belive you'll find them in the Processors sub-forum under General Computer Hardware and Software)

Both are good CPUs. It all comes down to budget really. Mainstream and power users tend to go with the Intel Core CPUs while people that are more cost conscious will want to go with AMD.

Yes, if you are very interested in computers, you can always go to the local library and borrow books regarding computers. I learnt it that way and my friend's helped me out.

I find magazines are the best source for learning how to build/upgrade PCs. There are tons of tutorials released all the time in popular PC magazines. You learn a lot about each component and what they do. Every once in awhile, "Smart Computing" will release the ultimate build guide or the ultimate upgrade guide. That is worth the money....

Or, just search through previous posts and save the whole Intel v AMD debate starting again :) there is no lack of previous topics about it (i belive you'll find them in the Processors sub-forum under General Computer Hardware and Software)

yeah good point, sorry I've been a bit busy but I did see that thread which'll be a great help. I'm feeling alot more confident about it and I can't wait to brag about it when my friends come over haha!

Vipul & ISOwner - Thanks, I'll check out my local news agents or but it online anyway.

I've now picked an optical drive here

Back
Top Bottom