Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
Solid State Member

Default Re: No C: drive... Only K: drive

Frog, the cables have been unplugged and plugged and swapped and....

I have been looking for the writeup about Cable Select and where the C:drive should be -- at the end or in the middle. But I haven't been able to locate that information yet. Does anybody know? When the drive jumpers are set to Cable Select, what position on the cable does the drive need to occupy to be seen as C:drive? With only one drive in the system, does it matter? With two drives, I think it does matter, but I'm not sure about which location.

Any ideas?

Panda Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #12
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Cat View Post
Kage, Yes it matters. Programs will not work if they can't find certain parts of their code. And they look for that code on the C: drive. If they don't find C:drive, they won't run. That's my problem.
Any properly coded programs should be using windows variables to access infomation, and not hardcoded drive letters. Checking the variable %Programfiles% in windows returns with the drive letter and folder that Program Files is located in.

And to fix the letters, I believe a reformat is the only way.

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #13
Solid State Member

Chris, yeah.. reformat.... it's going to be a long weekend.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #14
Fully Optimized

A reformat is your only option. Even if you somehow managed to change the drive name, your programs would all be messed up. You would have to go through the computer and change all of the targets for every program. You could buy a hard drive and clone the two drives. You can set that as C and the K as a backup. It's the only way I can think of that will let you keep your information.

2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-2GB DDR2 800 Mhz-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue- Nvidia 9400M
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
Solid State Member

Rohan, format seems to be the only way to fix it right. I was really hoping there was some modern secret that my older model decoder ring didn't know about. But then, I don't guess you guys know who HopAlong Cassidy was. I sent in a bunch of milk bottle caps to get that ring!! And now it's outdated. Rats!!
Old 05-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #16
Fully Optimized

Haha, actually I do. I used to read his books when I was younger. I loved reading books that came from the early 1900's. Buying a second hard drive and doing what I did above is a simple fix. If you really have important stuff, you can back them up on DVD's, iPod, external HDD, etc. But cloning a hard drive and turning that into your primary will definitely work. It's just a little more expensive.

2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-2GB DDR2 800 Mhz-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue- Nvidia 9400M
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote