No antistatic wriststrap.

worshipme

Golden Master
I'm building a computer and forgot to order an antistatic wriststrap with the components, and TBH I can't be arsed to go out and buy one. So I know that I need to take some precautions when handling the mobo and cpu (no wooly jumpers, no carpet, and always touch the metal on the case before touching the parts), as long as I take these precautions and discharge myself each time before touching the components, should I be O.K.?

Oh yeah, absolutely!!! Don't worry about the antistatic strap. Just make sure your other hand or skin makes contact with the metal chassis of the case or something conductive at the same time or right before you handle a component. It will discharge any electricity you may have built up.

I have never used one.

I tend to touch a radiator close by which would get rid of it, and then try and handle the components by the sides only.

Three computers I've built now, which have all been fine, and I've built them with only socks on, kneeling on carpet, with the components on a chair or something...

So, how about if I'm standing on wood with just some trousers and a T-shirt on and touching the case whilst putting the components in then I should be fine?

If you have a radiator close by, or something that'll take charge away, I doubt anything will happen.

I think you'll be fine.

It doesn't really matter where you're at really just as long as you are grounded in some way. Me, I usually have shorts on so I would have my leg touch the metal leg of a table or my arm would be in contact with the PC case chassis so I'm grounded at all times.

what is the reality of static electricity actually buggering up your components? i hear people go on about it all the time but have never actually come across anyone who has done it

Your body is a conductor for electricity when some type of friction is involved. This electron buildup can be transferred easily to whatever conductive material you touch, ie. metal, circuits, etc. When handling PC components that are sensitive in nature such as a motherboard (that can conduct electricity because of its components), you may inadvertanly transfer those electrons directly to the motherboard's sensitive circuitry causing a short which disrupt the whole flow of continuity. Then problem occurs.

i have an antistatic wrist strap and i found it just gets in the way. I've built computers without it and haven't had any problems. I just do what the others have said and just make sure to periodically touch a grounding source (like the metal case for instance). I don't wear socks though (especially wooly ones) but i have built computers on carpet without a problem.

It's also helps to handle the part with great care too. When handling video cards, motherboards, CPU, etc., it's best not to make contact with all the busses, capacitors, resistors, IC's, that 's actually on the board. Hold on to the edges as much as you can.

Back
Top Bottom