Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-13-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
Golden Master

Default No antistatic wriststrap.

I'm building a computer and forgot to order an antistatic wriststrap with the components, and TBH I can't be arsed to go out and buy one. So I know that I need to take some precautions when handling the mobo and cpu (no wooly jumpers, no carpet, and always touch the metal on the case before touching the parts), as long as I take these precautions and discharge myself each time before touching the components, should I be O.K.?

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: No antistatic wriststrap.

Oh yeah, absolutely!!! Don't worry about the antistatic strap. Just make sure your other hand or skin makes contact with the metal chassis of the case or something conductive at the same time or right before you handle a component. It will discharge any electricity you may have built up.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

I have never used one.

I tend to touch a radiator close by which would get rid of it, and then try and handle the components by the sides only.

Three computers I've built now, which have all been fine, and I've built them with only socks on, kneeling on carpet, with the components on a chair or something...
Old 11-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
Golden Master

So, how about if I'm standing on wood with just some trousers and a T-shirt on and touching the case whilst putting the components in then I should be fine?
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

If you have a radiator close by, or something that'll take charge away, I doubt anything will happen.

I think you'll be fine.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
Golden Master

It doesn't really matter where you're at really just as long as you are grounded in some way. Me, I usually have shorts on so I would have my leg touch the metal leg of a table or my arm would be in contact with the PC case chassis so I'm grounded at all times.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

what is the reality of static electricity actually buggering up your components? i hear people go on about it all the time but have never actually come across anyone who has done it
Core i7 2600K Sandybridge + Prolimatech Megahalems Cooler ₪ Asus P8P67 DELUXE ₪ G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz ₪ Crossfire 5870's ₪ OCZ GameXstream 850w ₪ X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS edition ₪ OCZ Vertex 3 120GB ₪ Antec P182 ₪ NAS ReadyDuo 4Tb ₪ BenQ FP241WZ 24" Widescreen LCD ₪ Windows 7 x64
Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:04 PM   #8
Golden Master

Your body is a conductor for electricity when some type of friction is involved. This electron buildup can be transferred easily to whatever conductive material you touch, ie. metal, circuits, etc. When handling PC components that are sensitive in nature such as a motherboard (that can conduct electricity because of its components), you may inadvertanly transfer those electrons directly to the motherboard's sensitive circuitry causing a short which disrupt the whole flow of continuity. Then problem occurs.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to Š88

i have an antistatic wrist strap and i found it just gets in the way. I've built computers without it and haven't had any problems. I just do what the others have said and just make sure to periodically touch a grounding source (like the metal case for instance). I don't wear socks though (especially wooly ones) but i have built computers on carpet without a problem.

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lösung!
Š88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:26 PM   #10
Golden Master

It's also helps to handle the part with great care too. When handling video cards, motherboards, CPU, etc., it's best not to make contact with all the busses, capacitors, resistors, IC's, that 's actually on the board. Hold on to the edges as much as you can.