Newegg Open Box.. Scam?

Prodigy146

Fully Optimized
Ok i orginally posted this in a different thread but after i was in a live chat, i am convinced this video card will be a doa.

My orginal OP:
Well i just sold my 9600gt to my friend for $55 and bought an HD 4830 Open box for $66 with free shipping

Right after i ordered it they Deactivated it. But ah hopefully this isnt a DOA

Newegg live chat:
Initial Question/Comment: Products
6:48:02 PM System
Linda has joined this session!
6:48:07 PM Linda:
Hello my name is Linda. How may I help you today?
6:49:06 PM Curtis Rolland:
Hi, i bought an open box video card today. Is there a guarantee that the product wont be DOA?
6:50:48 PM Linda:
No. Please kindly note that like most e-tailers Newegg does not test any products that we sell. All products are shipped to the customers exactly as we receive them from the manufacturers. Due to manufacturing defects, defective items may be shipped.
6:52:31 PM Curtis Rolland:
Ha ok so why does newegg sell this then?
6:53:42 PM Linda:
Our marketing and purchasing departments collectively determine all decisions regarding our inventory selection.
6:54:32 PM Linda:
If your open box item is defective, you may contact us back so that we can issue an RMA for you. For Open Box items we always offer 30-day refund warranty.
6:54:46 PM Curtis Rolland
Ok..
6:55:00 PM System
Curtis left this session

So what i get a 50/50 chance that my card that i paid for just wont work? WTF is that?

Not a scam at all. It's all spelled out in their FAQ:

What is a open box item? Does Newegg.com open box items or does the original manufacturer?

Open Box items have been opened and touched and/or returned. Because they originate from different situations, they may or may not include accessories, documentation or retail packaging. Refurbishment is done by the manufacturer. Open Box products are warranted for only 15 days. We recommend that you try out your open box product immediately after receiving it.

What is the return policy for open box merchandise? Do open box items offer any additional return policy coverage?

Newegg.com offers a 15-day refund-only return policy for all open box merchandise. Remember if you purchase a Open Box product you will receive an OEM BAREBONE item, meaning you will only receive the item itself. Accessories are NOT INCLUDED with Open Box products, even if the missing accessory is required for the item to function properly.

They still charged money for the product, they should have some sort of guarantee that its not a dead product

You can buy brand spanking new products still in the cellophane and they could be deader n doornails. Anything mass producted will have it's dead or defective pieces.
Jeeze what you so upset about? They DO have a return policy.

idk i guess i was just excited about the deal i got, my dumbass friend bought my 9600gt for $55 and then right after i see this open box deal. i looked up all the reviews on the HD 4830, saw how much it just wipes the floor with the G94.

And now after hearing the catch its like... shit

idk i guess i was just excited about the deal i got, my dumbass friend bought my 9600gt for $55 and then right after i see this open box deal. i looked up all the reviews on the HD 4830, saw how much it just wipes the floor with the G94.

And now after hearing the catch its like... shit

What the hell is the catch? It's like any other product except it was repaired or reboxed by the manafactuer. Newegg doesn't test ANY of there products.

They still charged money for the product, they should have some sort of guarantee that its not a dead product
They do:

Open Box products are warranted for only 15 days. We recommend that you try out your open box product immediately after receiving it.

Newegg.com offers a 15-day refund-only return policy for all open box merchandise.

Sheesh. Next time, don't be so cheap and get the "new" product then. I heard of lots of guys ordering open box merchandise and not having any problems.

Like seti said, I've heard plenty of stories about people buying brand new products that arrived DOA.

But it was just the price vs. performance ratio. No way in hell was i gonna pay $90 for the HD 4830, i was planning on waiting weeks to find a card that was low enough. You have to understand after buying an apartment, paying to fix my camaro's fuel pump, $16 an hour only goes so far. I cant be spending all this money on my geeky shit i like to do you know. So just paying $10 for an 9600gt to HD 4830 swap sounded like an insane deal.

And Paying less for a used item, isnt being cheap its just knowing what you need. I dont need a component cable, i dont need a power adapter, i dont need a vga splitter, i dont need a driver disk. Why should i pay for a retail package that all of the extra stuff is gonna be thrown away anyway? E.g: If there was an open box Phenom II 955 at $200 and you already have a cooler wouldnt you be drawn into it? Why should that be my fault?

I have no problem with saving a buck here or there.

It's just that you ordered this card without really knowing what an "open box" product is, and then cried foul after reading up on it. Just relax, it will be fine. If it does show up DOA, they'll issue you a full refund.

Back
Top Bottom