Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-13-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Default Newegg Open Box

so i'm thinking of getting an open box from newegg, i googled newegg open box, some say its good, some say its bad. some say that newegg doesnt even test the item if the returner returned the item.
so the question is.....
should i trust it?
thanks in advance

Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: Newegg Open Box

Ah, I'm sure the part about not testing it is false. Of course they would, otherwise, they wouldn't try selling it.

What is it your wanting to buy?

Old 10-13-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
Golden Master

Open Box means that the retail box the part was shipped in originally has been compromised. The part itself may have been used or not depending on the previous owner. Most likely, they should work--but hopefully, nothing is missing. Newegg has a good return policy should you need to RMA it.

I purchased open box items before at Best Buy and they all worked out great. On one item in particular, it doesn't have the manual in it for the mini fridge I have. No big deal though.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:07 PM   #4
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
Ah, I'm sure the part about not testing it is false. Of course they would, otherwise, they wouldn't try selling it.

What is it your wanting to buy?
i thinking of buying this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16814102034R
i only have $110 to spend, and this fitted right into the budget, unless you guys know a better one for about the same price
Old 10-13-2007, 09:10 PM   #5
Golden Master

Yeah that seems like a pretty good card. There is this, which isn't much more, but has an extra 256mb of memory for textures in games, etc:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102094
Old 10-13-2007, 11:36 PM   #6
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

as i was about to buy the item, heres what it says

"Newegg.com does not test any product, including open box items. Open Box items therefore are only tested by the original manufacturer. Due to varying qualities between manufacturers, YOU ARE TAKING A RISK BUYING OPEN BOX PRODUCTS.

Open Box merchandise are OPEN BOX products that contain components that have been owned by other clients and returned to Newegg.com. The products are sold considerably under cost. Newegg.com guarantees all open box products for 15 days only. CPUs, however, only have 7 day refund-only return policy. All open box items are considered OEM "barebone" parts.

Barebone means Newegg.com can only guarantee the item by itself, and no other accessories. No matter what the product description says, open box products may not have all the other accessories normally shipped with a new product. Newegg.com only guarantees that the barebone item itself will be included. Do not be upset or surprised if your open box product does not contain any cables, adaptors, manuals, CDs, drivers, fan, etc. Newegg.com will not send you any missing accessories, even if the accessory is essential to the product's operation.

While Newegg.com does not like to discourage sales, only the experienced PC enthusiast should purchase open box items and know how to deal with missing accessories. Only buy open box products if you are willing to resolve defects and/or know how to find missing accessories.

Open Box products do have a considerably higher return rate than brand new items. If you are just looking to get a good deal, please only buy new products.

YOU ARE TAKING A RISK BUYING OPEN BOX PRODUCTS. "
Old 10-14-2007, 04:21 AM   #7
Golden Master

Ah right. Thats really strange of them...
Old 10-14-2007, 07:56 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

wat? i thought they were all tested!
Old 10-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #9
In Runtime

Almost like buying something off of ebay.............

I'd be leary...........your taking a big risk with your money.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:13 PM   #10
Golden Master

That's too bad. I knew something like this might happen with Open Box items (as far as missing stuff goes), but since Newegg is just a vendor that distributes supplies, that's probably why they don't bother testing the products. It makes sense that way. THey found another CHEAP way to sell products without adding additional cost (shipping charges to take it back to manufacturer and the hassle of restocking again). It's pretty much a "buy at your own risk" deal.