Newbie Question

zbersinger

Beta member
Before I say anything I would just like to state that I know nothing about this kind of stuff, so if I say something a wrong way or say something that doesn't make sense, sorry. I was wondering if someone could recommend a decent graphics card for gaming. I downloaded The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion today and the speed that I have to run it at for it to not be slow, makes the graphics horrible and not even enjoyable. I have bought games in the past that have turned out to need higher specs then my computer had, so I was going to attempt to fix this problem. I'm not even sure if it's a graphics card that I need, it might be something different. When I play high end games, the game play is choppy and unplayable at times. At the moment this is what it says in properties.

GT5220
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual
Core Processor 3800+
2.01 GHz 896 MB of RAM

Card is NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE. Downloaded latest update today (hopefully it worked). What would be a good video/graphics card for running games such as Fallout 3, Team Fortress 2, Farcry 2 or Oblivion that isn't too expensive? If you have any questions let me know. Thanks.

can you tell us what your motherboard is.. that is only way we can tell what video card you can use. sorry if you dont know but if you need help finding motherboard information i would be glad to help.

Used a program to find it out, it says:

Motherboard
Manufacturer: ELITEGROUP
Model: C51PVGM-GB | 1.0
Chipset: NVIDIA | GeForce 6150
Southbridge: NVIDIA | nForce 410/430 MCP
LPCIO: ITE | IT8716

from what it says here you can have 1 pci express x16 1.0 slot. so that means you can use any of the new video cards out but without the double bandwidth.. which means it wont run at its full potential but it will still run pretty close... but ya you can use any video card out now from what it seems.. but what you are running now is a very obsolete card and its built into your motherboard.... here is a place where you can look at prices and what video cards you can get.. it ranges from alot of prices. id say get the geforce 9 series or higher. but its totally up to you and your price range.. heres teh website...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...odeValue=696:9641&PropertyCodeValue=696:33099

just look through all those pages and see which one best fits you... when you decide ill help you see if its good.. it could also be your cpu is a little slow but that would be cause your motherboard is fairly old... so you would ahve to do alot of new things if you want good computer.

I've decided to go ahead and look into getting a whole new computer. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom