Newbie/Novice Needs Help with Configuration of Dell XPS 8300

pnutzlaw

Beta member
While I have a general knowledge of how computers work, I am a complete novice, especially when it comes to the necessary amount of RAM and the proper graphics card. A purchase of a Canon HD camcorder has forced me to upgrade my 6 year old Dell Dimension with 1GB of RAM because it takes forever to transfer HD video from the camcorder and cannot properly play back HD video recorded at the highest quality (pixelation problems, freezing up, etc.).

I am considering purchasing a Dell XPS 8300 and am working with the customization options under the Premium configuration on Dell's website. This configuration includes dual optical drives (including a Blu Ray burner), a 24" HD LED monitor, 2TB hard drive, 8GB RAM and an AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB DDR5 video card.

Dell is giving me the option to upgrade to 12GB or 16GB RAM and either the AMD Radeon HD 6770 or 6870 video card.

I am not a gamer, but use my PC for internet browsing, word processing, viewing/editing/printing photos, listening to music and burning CDs and DVDs. I would like to start getting into editing and burning by HD video from my new camcorder.

In light of the foregoing, do I need to upgrade to 12 or 16GB RAM and a better video card? Cost is a concern, but not a deal breaker. Also, is the advertised 460W PSU sufficient? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

i would opt for 12gb ram and leave the rest as what you have said that computer would easily handle anything thrown at it for next 2 years but with tech the way it is maybe not even that any more. but for what you need that computer in general is overkill but if its speed you want and be able to work faster then yes its a WIN .

Back
Top Bottom