Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-20-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Exclamation a newbie is confused :/

Hi all! I have a question I would reeeaaally like answered please!

What do all the numbers describing a CPU mean? For example:

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor Model

I have no idea what the underlined portions mean, I have looked on the internet but to no avail

Also, how do I know if it will fit onto a motherboard? I am making my first computer and I am stuck on this part

patrikas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: a newbie is confused :/

ok the GHz is gig a herts the W is wats. Quad means 4 (so four core)... what really helped me was getting a how to build computers book and also pc's for dummies... a updated version

Also a good site to look up computer terms(and i mean any computer terms),is www.webopedia.com

4mattc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

X4 - AMD's naming for a 4 core processor.

3.0GHz - The effective operating speed of the processor. 3.0GHz is equivalent to 3000MHz.

AM2+ - The socket designation the CPU fits into.

125W - Is the thermal design power. It's the amount of heat the CPU can dissipate in watts.

Quad - Indicates that it is a 4 core processor.

To insure a CPU is compatible with a motherboard, the socket requirements must match. For AMD CPU's you're looking at socket AM3 and AM2+. The AM2+ is slowly being phased out in favor of the newer AM3.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:14 PM   #4
Solid State Member

What's the difference if there is two or three cores? I'd like to buy a book about pc's but I am tight on money right now...

So I should look for a motherboard with a AM2 socket if I would buy this? Or do all motherboards have the same socket?
Old 06-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #5
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

The more cores a CPU has, the more work it can do simultaneously. There are proframs that are designed to utilize multi-core CPUs to operate quicker.

For that particular CPU, you would need a socket AM2+ compatible motherboard. Not all motherboards have the same socket.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:51 PM   #6
Solid State Member

Is there anything else that needs to be put on the motherboard manually other than the CPU, graphics card, sound card, RAM? (excluding all the wires that plug in from other hardware). I just bought a new case and there aren't enough places to plug in the wires from the case! That's why I'm trying to get as much info as I can about the motherboard so I can buy a new one( I think mine is over 8 years old).

Any recommendations for a mobo under $100 that would qualify well for gaming as well as daily use, as well as a processor? This would help me A LOT.

Thanks!