Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-17-2005, 05:25 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default newb question

hi all,

i've noticed that my laptop gets slower and slower everyday, even though the hard disk is 90% empty and i've got about 512mb RAM. short of reformatting my whole system, is there any way to speed it up? i think it's because of all the installing and uninstalling of programs, screwing up the memory management, but i'm not sure. is there any way to fix this?

moondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:32 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Stephen Send a message via AIM to DJ Stephen Send a message via MSN to DJ Stephen Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Stephen
Default Re: newb question

i would backup all files and re-install windows, does your virus scanner work in the background? that might be the problem, or you have spyware working on your pc.

DJ Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:54 AM   #3
Beta Member

how do i check if there's any spyware and remove it?
moondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 06:28 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Stephen Send a message via AIM to DJ Stephen Send a message via MSN to DJ Stephen Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Stephen

Have you got any spyware software or you can get a beta copy here:

BETA Microsoft antispyware

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

OR

Spybot search and destroy

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Either of these will detect any and remove it if it needs to, only use one of them.

Hope i help
Old 07-17-2005, 06:34 AM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura

Why should u only use one of them. I'd say download both of them, I have both running and have no problems. And just google "anti-spyware" if u want another anti-spyware program, though IMO Spybot and Microsoft anti-spyware are the best.
mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 06:34 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

or Defrag your system
Old 07-17-2005, 08:30 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

Well i suppose that you can have two but its not reccomended, those are the best free ones but you can get paid ones.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:38 AM   #8
Wizard of Wires

Default Hello....

Everyone is right in their advice. But the tip off is you saying you install and unstall programs. The leads to a cluttered up reg. The system is still looking at those reg entries and has to keep up with them even if the program is gone. Most uninstallers are junk and leave behind a mess in the reg. I would suggest getting a cleaner like crap cleaner. That's its name. But despite that it works and is safe to use. You get it from www.ccleaner.com
When you go to use it turn on all the functions and run it untill it sees nothing. It may take several passes if you have a really junked up drive. Oh yeah if you have any cookie based passwords in the system it will clean them out also. A minor inconveneance.
Now as for the rest get spybot and adaware. Update them BEFORE you run them. Then get on a routine about running all these programs. Makes things run smoother and quicker.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 08:39 AM   #9
Fully Optimized

I think that deamon is a bit harsh, telling me i am wrong, when as u said, were all right.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:59 AM   #10
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura

I am sorry if I offended u, but as I said: I have never had any problems with having 2 anti-spyware programs at the same time and there are some spyware that one anti-spyware program could miss and the other one find it.

mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote