Newb needs help...

notcompsavvy

Beta member
Hey, what's up people? I just bought a new system (Sony VGC-RA820G) and I'm able to hook up my tv and pc together so I can watch tv through my monitor. My question is, is it possible (and how would I do this) to do the opposite? Could I watch on my tv whatever I'm doing on my pc? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm not very good with computers as you can tell by my username. ;)

if ur computer has a video card that has a tv in/out then it will just be a cable hookup where ur mobo or video cards is on the back of ur computer, u need to have windows media edition though.

I do have Windows Media Edition and I already have cables hooked up so I can watch and record tv on my pc. What would I have to do to reverse this? Watch my pc on my tv? TIA.

blah blah said:
if ur computer has a video card that has a tv in/out then it will just be a cable hookup where ur mobo or video cards is on the back of ur computer, u need to have windows media edition though.

you DO NOT need windows media edition, i dont know where you heard that blah blah, but i have windows xp, and a Ti4200 video card, it has svideo out which i can put on my tv. ATI also makes the all-in-wonder which has tv out. if its a new motherboard/comp it might even have component out in the back. a few new laptops i know do

Hey, thanks for the help. Here's some specs on my computer:

• Video & Graphics
ATI Radeonâ„¢ X300 LE 128MB Video Memory (128-bit DDR)
TV-Out / VGA-Out / DVI-Out (DVI output: 1280x1024x60Hz max.) 16x PCI Express Giga Pocketâ„¢ MPEG2 Realtime Encoder/Decoder board with TV Tuner
• Port Connections
Seven USB 2.0 (three front/four rear)6
Two PS/2® (Mouse/Keyboard)
One VGA/DVI Monitor Port
One TV-In/Out Port
One S/PDIF Out / One Printer Port
One 6pin i.LINK Port (rear)/ One 4pin (front)
One Headphone / One Microphone / One Line In
S-Video: Two Inputs (front and rear)
Composite Video / Audio Inputs (front and rear)
Coaxial Input (VHF/UHF)

As you can see I have S-video inputs, tv-in/out ports, etc. What do I have to do now? Sorry for all the questions.

You'll be able to use the S-Video port on your graphics card to connect to the television. Get an S-Video cable, plug one end into your computer, and the other into the TV. Goto to Display in the Control Panel, click the Settings tab, and choose your Display. Click apply, and exit. Should be that simple, I've never done it before, so I'm not entirely sure.

Fair warning, though, unless you've got an HDTV, the resolution will be horrible. I believe NTSC is 640x480, maybe 600x800, and that's on every TV that's not a HDTV.

yeah i wanted to be able to hook my tv to my pc the card can but wat cord do u need? (dumb question) and can some1 elaborate how to hook reverse the progress im not really getting it (another dumb question) i dont know much about hooking up Tv;s and such

Try looking in google for programs that would do it for u i got alot of stuff done by programs and found loop holes for recording my mixs by using different utils.

HEY BIOTH! i got the sony rs630g with the same tv card. I think u can plaug it on throught the video card (ati 9600) and get that into ur tv.

good luck with the comp.
they work awsome!

its like ten timers easier for a computer illerate person like him to operate windows media edition with his tv, that regualr xp, i was wrong, but for a person who is struggling it may help

Back
Top Bottom