Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Newb here.

Ok so i dont know much about computers and i need some help.
First off let me say that i am sorry if i put this in the wrong thread. sorry if this is stupid i figure it will be a pretty easy question for you to answer....
2 i bought a laptop from my friend and now he needs it back.. hes buying it for 150.. the laptop is a compaq presario cq56.
But i do graphic design and video editing and 150 isnt even a somewhat decent amount for a laptop. So are there any laptops that will be able to handle photoshop and sony vegas pro at a decent speed. it doesnt have to be new (its impossible to get a new laptop for this cheap) but id prefer to order off amazon. ive been looking at this ( Amazon.com: Compaq Presario CQ57-339WM Intel Celeron Processor B800 1.50Ghz 2GB 320GB DVDRW Win7 15.6'' (Black): Office Products ) but its got a smaller processor. which means it wouldnt be very quick would it? i dont play games at all so no worry about that. Anything else you guys can reccomend would be a ton of help! 180 would be about max because i have to have a laptop. i cant not have one. again sorry if this is stupid or anything and sorry for rambling

krisbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Newb here.

You can't get a editing laptop for that price. If you only have 180 bucks for a PC i would suggest buying a pre-owned desktop PC.
You get more performance for the bug that way. ofcause that laptop you are looking it is capable of editing in Vegas, but it will not a pleasant experience. especially when exporting the project to a video format. Laptops that can edit dissent in sony vegas is way over your budget.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Beta Member

ok well what would a good price be to start at? i need a laptop and might be able to get more money.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Wizard of Wires

Try 600 to 800 to start. My HP G7 cost me right at 600 out the door. Walmart is where I got mine. Stay away from the big boy electronics stores.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
Beta Member

600 to 800 for new.. im looking at used. I dont want a new one. Too expensive at this point.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:00 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

Here are some of the basics:
1- Desktops cost less and perform better for the same price vs laptops.
2- Editing, specially video, is better off with fast multi-core CPU's. These are not cheap.
3- Older Intel Core CPU's still do very well and had their prices go down a lot. Try finding no less than a first generation i5 750 as it is the cheapest quad Core CPU.

But really, 200 bucks won't cut it for a laptop with acceptable performance for serious video editing.