new XFX radeon 6790 - crashing

poobear71

Solid State Member
hey, well i bought a XFX radeon 6790 and from the word go its been crashing. ive had a chat or two with the online XFX people and so far not getting anywhere. im a total tech noob, ill try to explain as best i can.

so ive freshly formatted my pc, have all drivers and windows updates sorted.. vid card drivers are from xfxforce.com

when i surf the net i get a light blue screen, not BSOD with a report of a crash dump or anything, just blue. the blue screen can happen after 2 mins of surfing or after 10 mins BUT it will crash no matter what.

i play a few vid games. world of tanks is fine, WoW is fine and both run quite nicely but wow does sometimes flicker a bit on the log in screenbut goes on to play fine.. other games such as bf2:bad company2 and CS:s crash to desktop when i update my server list.

ive spoken to the xfx guys and they have asked about GPU temps whilst booting cold and warm. idle temps and heavy load temp..... all fine. they want me to use their drivers only. before that i tried the latest drivers from amd and also a hotfix and they give me the symptoms ive already described.. the xfxdrivers are no better... ive used driver sweeper before trying new drivers.

theyve suggested that perhaps my PC is screwed, so have asked me to try the card out on another machine. will do this coming tuesday when a friend's pc is available to me.. though this PC is fine. im now on it with my old card a radeon hd 5570 back in the pc and no crashes at all. im playing tunes, 5 web pages open and have WoW running in the background, on a raid with spells and all sorts going off and the pc handles it fine..

SO! i will check the card out on my friend's pc AND i feel it will give me the blue screens. at that point should i request XFX take the card and do tests or whatever? edit: or probly send to who i bought from ebuyer.com

amd athlon II x4 640
asrock m3a77ode
pc3-10600 x4gigs
xfx pro 650w psu
xfx radeon hd 6790

edit: oh and as im a tight ass, should i ask them to reimburse me for the P+P when i send the card to them? ;)

Last edited:
Try the newest Catalyst drivers from ATI/AMD.

Try reseating the card in, make sure it's dust free as well. Make sure that all the plugs are in (which I doubt you would forget about that).

However, if all fails, this sounds like your video card is failing on you. Flickering and light blue screens aren't supposed to happen. How long have you had the card for?

hey, ty for the reply. have had the card for 5 days now, had these probs from the moment i put it in my pc.

yeah i made sure everything in the pc is seated/plugged in correctly. ive tried the newest Catalyst drivers from ATI/AMD and they give me the same problems.

the next thing to do is test it out on a friends machine this tuesday, im fairly sure i will have the same problems but i guess its best to try before i send the card back.

if it is a software prob then GRRRRR!!

anyway,ive had it with ati tbh.. when either ebuyer or xfx test it and find a fault i will ask for a refund rather than a replacement and i will get an nvdia.

ty again for the reply

I'm not too convinced about it being software. However you can simply return it to ebuyer and get a refund.

ATI cards are ok, but I don't like their drivers. Anyways, I've always stuck up to Nvidia.
All the Radeons from the 9K and X series I had or have seen failed. Even my own 9600 is screwing up...and it was fine all along before.

Okay I tested the card on another machine and it does the same stuff. RMA time.

Ive heard some scary stories about RMA being troublsome. We shall see :)

Nah, it isn't THAT bad. It depends how understandable the rep is. I RAMed an ASUS board once and it was fine.

Well, I got a reply concerning the RMA.

It is in full working order as far as they are concerned, tested it for over 2 hours.

My options were either they would return the card free of charge or a refund with a £10 charge for shipping. I took the refund.

Dont think I will be shopping at Ebuyer again lol.

Hmm, odd that those problems also occurred on the other machine, especially since some games worked fine, which you would have thought would have been the opposite.

Are you sure your power supply was up to the task?

Back
Top Bottom