New System

Right, thats plenty to get a better one than you've looked at :p Do some looking around. x800 for example would be great (not sure on price)
If Geforce takes your fancy, a good 6600GT is never worth a miss since that'll be right in your budget, and will play all new games at high quality settings.

alright thanks for the graphics card help. got any suggestions towards the PCU and motherboard? Oh yeah and my budget is now 700$

wow...well that'll certainly make a difference.

I won't be able to help you much with the motherboard, but all you have to check on sites is that it supports the pin of the processor you want to get. Because it all depends on features. You won't want for example one with onboard video and sound possibly (these tend to be rubbish), thoguh most come with them. Then there are all the different chipsets like LAN, and USB ports, etc, which you should be able to make a discion on based on features vs Price.

As for the PSU though, you want to aim for around 400 watts, 450 if you can. Anything higher for a system usually will just be wastage, since all the components together wouldn't use that much, for example if you only had a basic system with nothing else plugged into it. So yeah, those wattages are fine. If you have to, get 500 Watts just to be sure.

I'd post on here with makes of some you like since the PSU is very important in a system. A bad one could underpower it, or even crash or damage your system if it went, or got unstable.

I hope this helps :)

WEll I kinda found out that buying all the pieces seperately and putting it together on my own is WAY cheaper.

-ASUS K8N-E DELUXE Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb ATX AMD

-AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Newcastle Integrated into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 754 Processor - OEM

-512MB DDR Kingston Memory.. for now.. I may upgrade to a gig later

-SAPPHIRE 100557-RD Radeon 9800PRO 256MB 256-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - OEM

I'm pretty certain about everything but the video card. (I have a case with power supple, a few fans, and all that good stuff picked out as well). Any suggestions on the video card? Good choice? Bad choice?

I have the 9800PRO and it'll play new games, though not at high resoloutions with high framerates, so no, its not really good to get that card anymore.

With the AMD Athlon 64. Why dont you get the 3200+ and get it with a Venice core which is newer? You honestly won't see that much difference with the 3400+ and 3200+, though that motherboard would probably have to be changed too then because of the socket problem. The 3400+ is probably a socket 754, while the 3200+ Venice would be a 939 socket, though going for the 939 will mean better compatability with a new chip in the future.

For the video card, i'd go for nothing less than the Geforce 6600GT, the X800 is in class with this, so might be worth looking for if your into ATi :)

I hope this helps

I think i'm gonna stick with the one I have because any 6600GT with 256MB is like atleast 250$ and the X800's are pretty pricy too. I think the one i chose, SAPPHIRE 100557-RD Radeon 9800PRO 256MB 256-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - OEM, will be more than plenty for me. Thanks for the help though.

lany tips on cases?

Wait for a few months, the new mac G5's are coming out with hp processors, sounds like apple are making the big comeback!

Back
Top Bottom