New SSD Drive

bluenose1940

In Runtime
I have a Kingston A400 120GB SSD Drive that is located in an enclosure and connected to my computer by way of a USB Cable.

When I go into the Control Panel and then into Device Manager, the new drive is visible and it says 'This device is working properly' but, when I go into File Explorer it is not visible.

When I connect the cable I do get a clearly audible beeping sound but there is no drive letter visible.

Is there something else that I need to do in order to be able to get at it and to format it ready for use?

Many thanks.

Is this a new drive? Your title says new but is it brand new or just new to you? Is it possible it is formatted for a Linux or Mac OS?

Has it ever worked with your computer?

If it is brand new, it may just need to be initialized. Open Disk Management and take a screenshot and post it here for us to see.

If it needs to be initialized, you'll need to create a partition and then format it which you can do from Disk Management. If on Windows 10, you can get to Disk Management by right-clicking on the Start Menu icon and selecting Disk Management from there.

Last edited:
Is this a new drive? Your title says new but is it brand new or just new to you? Is it possible it is formatted for a Linux or Mac OS?

Has it ever worked with your computer?

If it is brand new, it may just need to be initialized. Open Disk Management and take a screenshot and post it here for us to see.

If it needs to be initialized, you'll need to create a partition and then format it which you can do from Disk Management. If on Windows 10, you can get to Disk Management by right-clicking on the Start Menu icon and selecting Disk Management from there.

Hopefully you can see this OK...................

Device Manager_1.JPG

You may just need to assign a letter. Search for "Create and format hard disk partitions" in Control Panel and see if there is a letter assigned or even a partition created. If not, post screenshots and we can guide you through the process of creating them.

Back
Top Bottom