Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6
Exclamation New setup, graphical error...

Well i just upgraded from a crappy 1999 machine and i decided to build my own its an upgrade.. but not that great here are the specs.
MOBO: Abit kn8-SLI
CPU: 3500 AMD
V Card: 6200 Geforce
PSU: X-FINITY

Well from the start i starting seeing these graphical glitches as i started to install windows.. like when i went to install it some words in the setup screen and BIOS were pretty messed up as in it looked like a lot of the letters were seperated from eachother. When i first saw that i thought it was the card drivers and they just needed to upgrade.. i finally got to install windows xp and downloaded and installed drivers but as i was installing whenever i clicked on the START menu or just opened up a new window like control panel the monitor would like stutter and refresh on its own..and sometimes turn off and then back on quickly.. after i installed drivers it didnt help much.. Any1 have any idea what it can be.. I already ruled off Monitor since i tried it with a different monitor and nothing changed.
__________________

XsNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
 
mayorredbeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,246
Default Re: New setup, graphical error...

Run windows repair. If that doesn't work I think you should reformat. However if you wait a while longer someone might come along with different advice. From my standpoint it looks like if the repair fails, the reformats your only option. Since it's a recently new clean install, that shouldn't be too big a pain.
__________________

__________________
Karma/rep is always appreciated
01010010011001010110010001100010011001010110000101 11001001100100
010011110111010101110100

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who can read binary, and those who can't.
mayorredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #3
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6
Default Re: New setup, graphical error...

i dont think windows is the problem.. because when i barely built it and booted it up, and went into the BIOS the graphical glitches were already present...
XsNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
bullzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: US
Posts: 3,283
Send a message via Yahoo to bullzi Send a message via Skype™ to bullzi
Default Re: New setup, graphical error...

yea i would agree, it probably isnt a windows error, there might actually be something really wrong with the graphics card, have you noticed how hot it gets when its on? may want to check that...
__________________
-Desktop- Dual Monitor, Q8200 2.34Ghz, 8GB, 1TB, XFX 6850, 7 Ultimate
-ASUS UL50- SU7300, 4GB, 500GB, G210M, 7 Home Premium 64, XP Pro
-HP NC6400- Core Duo 1.86Ghz, 2.5GB, 64GB SSD, x1300, XP Pro
bullzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
Daemon Poster
 
mayorredbeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,246
Default Re: New setup, graphical error...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsNRG
i dont think windows is the problem.. because when i barely built it and booted it up, and went into the BIOS the graphical glitches were already present...
I assume you've already tried unhooking the all the power cables to all the components, and all the cables interlinking your componenents to your motherboard?

If not give that a shot. If your having this problem before the install of windows it's a hardware problem. We just have to diagnose which hardware component it is. I would immediatly suspect the gfx card since your problems are purely limited to visual glitches.

When you said

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
and sometimes turn off and then back on quickly
Whats turning on and off? Is the computer rebooting?
__________________
Karma/rep is always appreciated
01010010011001010110010001100010011001010110000101 11001001100100
010011110111010101110100

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who can read binary, and those who can't.
mayorredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6
Default Re: New setup, graphical error...

no not the computer.. the monitor does. it turns on and off, on and off when it gets worked.. IE: opening new windows, like control panel start menu right clicking desktop, mainly anything that requires the graphics card to send a large new frame to the monitor
XsNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:52 PM   #7
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6
Default Re: New setup, graphical error...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorredbeard
I assume you've already tried unhooking the all the power cables to all the components, and all the cables interlinking your componenents to your motherboard?

If not give that a shot. If your having this problem before the install of windows it's a hardware problem. We just have to diagnose which hardware component it is. I would immediatly suspect the gfx card since your problems are purely limited to visual glitches.

When you said



Whats turning on and off? Is the computer rebooting?
no not the computer.. the monitor does. it turns on and off, on and off when it gets worked.. IE: opening new windows, like control panel start menu right clicking desktop, mainly anything that requires the graphics card to send a large new frame to the monitor

also do u mean unhooking all the components and power cables and then hooking them back on?
XsNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:52 PM   #8
Fully Optimized
 
bullzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: US
Posts: 3,283
Send a message via Yahoo to bullzi Send a message via Skype™ to bullzi
Default Re: New setup, graphical error...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorredbeard
I assume you've already tried unhooking the all the power cables to all the components, and all the cables interlinking your componenents to your motherboard?

If not give that a shot. If your having this problem before the install of windows it's a hardware problem. We just have to diagnose which hardware component it is. I would immediatly suspect the gfx card since your problems are purely limited to visual glitches.

When you said



Whats turning on and off? Is the computer rebooting?
hit the nail on the head, im basically saying the same thing mayorred did, but check and make sure that the graphics card is properly seated, and that all of the pins are clean, sometimes they can get a very clear film on them and the graphics card will have glitches (happened to me) just try taking a cotton swab and whipping those gold pins off, however DO NOT apply too much pressure as this can actually pull these off of the card (yes i learned the hard way...) and you dont want that!! but yea is the computer rebooting?
__________________
-Desktop- Dual Monitor, Q8200 2.34Ghz, 8GB, 1TB, XFX 6850, 7 Ultimate
-ASUS UL50- SU7300, 4GB, 500GB, G210M, 7 Home Premium 64, XP Pro
-HP NC6400- Core Duo 1.86Ghz, 2.5GB, 64GB SSD, x1300, XP Pro
bullzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:57 PM   #9
Daemon Poster
 
mayorredbeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,246
Default Re: New setup, graphical error...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullzi
hit the nail on the head, im basically saying the same thing mayorred did, but check and make sure that the graphics card is properly seated, and that all of the pins are clean, sometimes they can get a very clear film on them and the graphics card will have glitches (happened to me) just try taking a cotton swab and whipping those gold pins off, however DO NOT apply too much pressure as this can actually pull these off of the card (yes i learned the hard way...) and you dont want that!! but yea is the computer rebooting?
He said the monitor goes black for a second then comes back on. You were thinking the same thing as me. It's most likely the graphics card. If doing what bullzi doesn't work, and neither does reseating the graphics card, you could make an attempt at reformatting windows for sh*ts and giggles, but your most likely going to have to RMA your video card and get a new one. If you can get your hands on a compatible video card that you know works, try it. If you can't, if your motherboard has onboard graphics, try using those instead of the graphics card. If your computer works using the integrated graphics or another graphic card, then we've found our problem. Most companies offer some sort of warranty on their parts.
__________________
Karma/rep is always appreciated
01010010011001010110010001100010011001010110000101 11001001100100
010011110111010101110100

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who can read binary, and those who can't.
mayorredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #10
Fully Optimized
 
bullzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: US
Posts: 3,283
Send a message via Yahoo to bullzi Send a message via Skype™ to bullzi
Default Re: New setup, graphical error...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorredbeard
He said the monitor goes black for a second then comes back on. You were thinking the same thing as me. It's most likely the graphics card. If doing what bullzi doesn't work, and neither does reseating the graphics card, you could make an attempt at reformatting windows for sh*ts and giggles, but your most likely going to have to RMA your video card and get a new one. If you can get your hands on a compatible video card that you know works, try it. If you can't, if your motherboard has onboard graphics, try using those instead of the graphics card. If your computer works using the integrated graphics or another graphic card, then we've found our problem. Most companies offer some sort of warranty on their parts.
i agree 100%
__________________

__________________
-Desktop- Dual Monitor, Q8200 2.34Ghz, 8GB, 1TB, XFX 6850, 7 Ultimate
-ASUS UL50- SU7300, 4GB, 500GB, G210M, 7 Home Premium 64, XP Pro
-HP NC6400- Core Duo 1.86Ghz, 2.5GB, 64GB SSD, x1300, XP Pro
bullzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0