New Router

G9

Daemon Poster
I currently have a 2WIRE homeportal and am very dissastisfied with its control panel and range. Hence, I have my eyes on a linksys. Two things:

1. How would I transfer to another router (reconnect to internet services, etc...)
2. Is there another router you would like to suggest?

Thanks.

are u looking for wireless or wired? i have a linksys and it hasnt let me down yet (wired), i got the one with the firewall built in so i recommend that

I have a Belkin Pre-N Wireless/Wired Router combination. Here's a link to one at Newegg for reference: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833314014.

I'm fond of it, and it has pretty good range even if you don't have the corresponding desktop card. The wired features are pretty much the same, though, and all of the Pre-N stuff is for the wireless. If you want a wireless/wired combo, I highly recommend this, but if you just want wired, then don't bother and get something a little cheaper. Though this one has come down in price a lot since I bought it.

Sorry... I posted right after you did.

As for the product suggestion, it looks great, by the reviews... I am not, however, a great candidate for overviewing the technical specificiations of these products, as I don't understand the general jargon. In addition, I have not heard as of yet Belkin routers... Linksys seems mainstream. That is no reason, however, to avoid Belkin. Conclusively, I still need instructions on how to transfer one modem's information to another.

i need a new routor my one has gone KAPUUT!! it was a belkin one so i am really off them now. was looking at netgear , heard they are pretty good.

I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless g router with a 4 port switch built in. It hasn't failed me yet and it has all kinds of setting and a firewall and everything.

As for transferring your internet connection info from one router to another, you don't have to, all you have to do is hook up the router between your broadband modem and your pc and run the installation disc for the router, it will detect everything for you and set it up automatically, takes about 3 mins, thats what they advertise in the user manual. The router has to be hard wired to your computer during the initial setup, but once thats done, you can go wireless with it. Linksys, Belkin and D-Link I'd say are the best.

So pretty much... plug and play? I think I'll go with a Linksys, the question is, which model is for me?

Back
Top Bottom