New Rig

I have a budget of $1500 (AU Mind you) to build a new rig! I Will mainly be using it for Gaming,video editing and school/business stuff.

Here are the parts i have chosen:

Case:Cooler Master Centurion RC-590 Mid Tower Case, 5.25"/3.5" Drive Bays, USB, IEEE1394, Audio, ATX (RC-590-KKN1)

Motherboard: ASRock A780GM-LE, Socket AM2/A...

CPU:AMD Phenom 940 BE 2.8Ghz Quad

RAM: Kingston 1GB Memory, PC2-6400, DDR2 800MHz, 240-pin DIMM, CL6 (KVR800D2N6/1G) x2

DVD Burner: LG 22x DVD Burner, SATA, Black, OEM (GH22NS30)

HDD:Seagate 640gb SATA II

PSU: Thermaltake LIFE TIME WARRANTY ToughPower QFan 500W Power Supply with Cable Management, Active PFC (W0151)

GPU: Saphire 4870 1gb

All up,Comes to $1450 (Roughly - With a $10 Discount).

Now My aim for this PC Is to be future proof (Still be able to play new release games in 2 years time) and yet be flawlessly reliable :D

So,

1.Will This rig be future proof (be able to play new release games in 2 years time)?

2.Will This rig be reliable (No Major part Replacements in the next 2 years)?

3.Is there anywhere i could save money or should improve?

4.Any part Recomendations?

1.Will This rig be future proof (be able to play new release games in 2 years time)?
Kind of hard to say, but most likely no if you plan to max out almost every game thats coming out in the next 2 years. The 9800GT is starting to go to the midrange card card, though its still considered an high end (last time i checked), and majority of the games might start to use Quads by next year or so.
The parts are reliable, but same as #1
Have you checked and paired rams instead of buying 2 1GB rams? It might be a bit cheaper. If you want to max games out for the next 2 years, then maybe a CPU or graphics card. I would probably improve the motherboard. But thats my opinion
Since you are playing at such a high resolution, but get another card better than the 9800GT, maybe the 4850 or something similar.
5. Instead of the E8400 (CPU) I have chosen,Should i go with the E8500 (3.16Ghz) Instead or maybe the Q9400 (2.66Ghz Quad Core)?
Go with the quad instead, but the bad thing about it is that the price might go down more later due to the i7 cores. Seems like intel is trying to get rid of all the C2Q.

Overall, thats a pretty sweet build. I would go for it, but keeping that rig for 2 years might be hard. But then again, i heard rumors where people are still using an single core with the 7800 GPU and getting pretty decent frames on some current games. But again, those are rumors.

Just read your EDIT, did you order yet?

Yep :D

Thanks for replying :)

I Dont mind if i have to run new games (in years to come) at low settings as long as it plays them O.K Because this will be my last build until i get a job AND a card.I Also purchased some Velcro Cable Organizers aswell.Also, Buying the Kingstom ram seperately saves me about $3 :D

You could go with AMD Phenom II here which will change the Mobo but will offer quad core and more longevity if planning not to upgrade

You are going to need more than 1 Gb of ram here if you want this to last for 2 more years
Edit*** Didn't see the x2 at the end...:(

This is unnecessary if you are looking to skimp some money off the price

Now My aim for this PC Is to be future proof (Still be able to play new release games in 2 years time) and yet be flawlessly reliable :D

So,

5. Instead of the E8400 (CPU) I have chosen,Should i go with the E8500 (3.16Ghz) Instead or maybe the Q9400 (2.66Ghz Quad Core)?

About the CPU is there a reason why you are only looking at Intel? The Phenom II 920 is in this budget range as is the 940 BE if you drop the sound card. These offer Quad cores which will be better equipped for games in the 2 year time frame you are aiming for.

i would say ditch the sound card and get a more reliable graphics card. say EVGA or XFX. and maybe GTX instead of GT

i would say ditch the sound card and get a more reliable graphics card. say EVGA or XFX. and maybe GTX instead of GT
Galaxy are owned by Palit, they are a very reliable brand, I've owned one.

No. Future games will most likely run on a multi-thread base. Your GPU is mid-level and will not be able to hand the future graphics.

Yes, this should be pretty reliable. I would search for a better PSU.
ie: Antec, FSP, PC Power & Cooling.

You will save future money by getting a better graphics card and a better processor. I recommend a PII and an HD4870/50 if you are on a budget.

See above. I'd also recommend Corsair or OCZ memory instead of Kingston. Buy kits and not separate, tends to work better.

See 3.

Yep, all looks good. Go for it.
I wish i have money for a new rig.

Back
Top Bottom