New Ram Question

BlindBusDriver

Baseband Member
I currently have one stick of 512pc2700 ddr sdram in my comupter 184 pin, i have another open slot on my mobo so i was thinking of expanding to a gig. My question is should i buy the same brand of ram in my comp now or just go for this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144202)
its one of the cheepest i could find... does it matter on price like you pay for what you get or are all rams basicly the same if compatable with your mobo? If this one sucks then does anyone have a good suggestion on what brand of ram i should get?

Well, they always say to get the same make of RAM chip and same model since the latency timings will be different on each make, so this can confuse the motherboard because it'd have to slow RAM timings down on a faster one to get it running at the slower Latency's RAM speed for example (Latency has 4 numbers, each one means how many clocks of the CPU it takes to get information across, the less the better the RAM)

So no, not all RAM is the same, though is PC2700 the max speed your motherboard can have? What is your motherboard? Thoguh if you got any faster, you might as well replace the one in there already...otherwise the faster RAM would be slowed down again by the slower RAM, possibly causing instability.

I hope this helps :)

Intel Sea Breeze D845GVSR<<<Thats what it says in everest unless im reading something wrong, idk if 2700 is the fastest that it can take how do i check that?

Yep:

support for up to 2 GB of DDR333/266/200 SDRAM memory

PC2700 is the maxiumum your motherboard will support, though this isn't a problem.

If you can't get the same brand you have already, and so the same RAM chip (check on the chip itself for the name) then I'm being truthful in saying getting another brand can cause instability...so you'd be best buying 2x512mb sticks that are the same in that case. This is only for the extreme circumstance though, as you should be able to get the same RAM by the same make if you look carefully enough :p

how is it expandable to 2 gb of ram if it only has 2 slots, and if i get the same brand and just get it dual channel is that safe or would i have to get both of them dual channel?

It'd be easy to get 2gb of RAM on that system. You'd simply insert 2x 1gb PC2700 chips, though I wouldn't think at all, that this would be worth doing, as 1gb is plenty for any system at the moment (might become the standard soon though as 512mb is at the moment)

Plus I'm afraid your motherboard doesn't support Dual Channel, so wouldn't support Dual Channel RAM in Dual Channel mode, so apsoloutley no point getting that.
DDR I think only supports Dual Channl anyway, and your system only supports the older SD-RAM which came before DDR.

So just get 1x 512mb Samsung RAM then (same as your system) which is un-dualed, since the chip inside your system at the moment won't be (get the same chip)

I hope this helps :)

thx for alll the help i found the ram on neweggit alll matches up but not one letter in the model
Everest says- Samsung M3 68l6423FTN-CB3
Newegg.com says-Samsung M3 68L6423ETN-CB3
see the difference on the end The F and the E is that ok i think it mite be me reading it wrong

Back
Top Bottom