New RAM

KJLai

In Runtime
Hey guys,

I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E6850
with a MOBO of ASUSTeK P5KPL-VM
DDR2 - 2048 MBYTES

I was wondering is it possible to upgrade to a new ram?

If I gave too little information and need more, let me know.

Your motherboard can take up to 4GB of ram, If you have a single 2GB stick I'd get another and stick it in.

That board is getting a little long in the tooth. It uses a G series southbridge chip.
It states at their website that it can support 4 gigs but if you're running a 32 bit OS it will most likely show 3 gigs or less. The recommended total is 3 gigs.

DDR2 ram is on it's way out and if you don't shop carefully, can cost more than DDR3. The best way to make use of that platform is to keep it tidied up on a regular basis. I don't mean tear the case open every week and brush n blow the inside out but instead keep the riffraff and unused garbage cleaned out of the soft side of the system.
I cleaned my system out just today and she's pretty happy. Running like a well balanced prop on a quad. Smooth and quiet.

Make use of the toolbox found here > http://www.computerforums.org/forums/cyber-safety-computer-security/pc-cleanup-toolbox-219988.html
When you run combofix if you have any realtime malware and antivirus programs running it will advise you to shut them off. Disable your internet connection so you don't appear naked to some hacker wanna be pinging for unprotected computers. When you finish with combofix re-enable your security and reconnect to your ISP. When you run a few of the other goodies in the box you'll have to update the data files so they have up to date data to work with.
All in all it should take a good hour or so to run all of the items in the tool box.
Now for you rookies(because I personally hate the term noob) stay clear of Black Viper. You bugger that up and you'll most likely lock your self out of your system. In some cases so bad you'll have to wipe the drive and reinstall the operating system.
Not to worry though. The rest of the tool box is very safe. A lot of us here use these goodies to keep our computers purring along.

Alright cool. Thanks BK, setishock!!!

This pc is pretty old. maybe about 7-9 years already. I was just wondering if i could add a little to it, but knowing that it can only hold up to 4 gigs, I might just rebuild a new pc.

Thanks!

Honestly, this PC is crap. I will need to build a brand new one. I am gonna leave this PC for spare, for my family to use.

Planning to make a build next summer when I get enough money. But as of right now, I'm just looking for a new laptop.

If You really want to save some money, You could get one from a pawn shop. I picked up two of them for $200, And if you want to, You could do a system restore to make it feel like brand new if the laptop has a recovery partition on the HHD.

Either way, best of luck to you with Your new lappy.

My laptop I have now is really stupid. The battery holder/lock is loose for some reason, and the laptop keeps shutting off on me. There are times where I turn it on and it just like automatically dies like someone shot it.. you can hear the sound where its like getting blown up.. but it really isn't. So I'm gonna keep this laptop as a spare with my PC as well.

Thanks. The new laptop Im trying to get will be of good use!

Back
Top Bottom