Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #21
In Runtime
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 318
Default Re: New PSU

yeah idk, blahhhh!!!! I'll be on edge until I get a new PSU and see if everything is in working order. I'll probably order tonight hopefully, will only have to wait till Tuesday to get it I hope.
__________________

__________________
AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE 3.2 Ghz | Asus m4a79xtd evo| HIS Radeon HD 5770 1 Gb | 4 Gb A-Data Gaming RAM | 500 Watt PSU | Antec 900 | Samsung Syncmaster 22" LCD
killthenakedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #22
Daemon Poster
 
GibsonSGKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: New PSU

I would go for a 600 or 750 watt PSU myself. I usually use the same PSU for several builds, so I would want it to last.
__________________

__________________
C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2GHZ | Zalman 9900 LED HeatSink | Asus P5E3 Pro Motherboard | CM Storm Scout case | 1TB Caviar Black HDD | GTX760 4GB | 23" Acer [1920x1080] & 21.6" Asus [1920x1080] monitors
GibsonSGKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #23
Fully Optimized
 
wol-va-rine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,104
Default Re: New PSU

if you plan on crossfiring two 5770s you really don't need much more power, as I said before each only uses about 80w max, and an overclocked i7 system with crossfired 5770s would probably use about 350w max (furmark, gaming, etc.), so a good 500w psu would still be fine, but just to be safe I would go with one of the top of the line 500w-600w psus just in case you do decide to switch gpus to a more power hungry card...

for around $100 you could get this Corsair CMPSU-550VX, a good psu with 41a on a single 12v rail, or the Antec TruePower New TP-550 550w with 20a on each of the four 12v rails, each is more than enough for your needs atm...

$80 and you could get this SeaSonic S12II 520w with 40a on a single rail, this is actually a better psu than the Corsair or the Antec, scoring a 9.7 on Jonnyguru's scale...

if it was me I would get the Seasonic, $80 may seem like a lot to spend on a psu, but you have to remember that the psu is usually the single most ignored and underrated part of any build, but at the same time the most important, delivering stable power to your parts will help all the other parts run smoothly...

if you want silence and THE absolute best of the best and if money is no issue then I would get this Seasonic X650 Gold, $154 is a lot to spend on a psu, even a quality one, but this is the best psu in it's wattage range period, it surpasses it's 80+ efficiency rating in even the harshest torture tests in reviews with the lowest efficiency rating in the multiple load tests near 90% (86%+) and every single review has bowed to it's magnificence and touted it as the best of best (which is saying a lot, there are a lot of great psus out there), it is so silent that some people have even thought that the fan was broken at first, because it doesn't even turn on until the unit hits 30C (which isn't often, sometimes it turns on, only to turn off minutes or seconds later after dipping back below 30C)...

a quote from one of the foremost psu testers around, Jonnyguru..."Hello? Is this thing on? Such were my first words when I powered up this unit for testing. The fan twitched and immediately stopped. It didn't turn on again until test three. And then it turned off again for crossload test one. It seems that Seasonic wasn't joking about this being a quiet unit... you just can't get much quieter than fanless. I like that the fan twitches just to let you know the unit isn't dead or something."

quite simply probably the best psu out and even moreso (if possible) if you are running a HTPC where silence is coveted above all else...

just my .02...
__________________
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #24
Omnipotent One
 
Atomic Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 11,161
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: New PSU

ATI recommends at least a 600W power supply for an HD 5770 Crossfire setup.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #25
Daemon Poster
 
GibsonSGKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: New PSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
ATI recommends at least a 600W power supply for an HD 5770 Crossfire setup.
They usually over shoot with the recommendations, just for people with junk PSU's. I would still go with at least a 450 watt though. That's still pushing it IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wol-va-rine View Post
if you plan on crossfiring two 5770s you really don't need much more power, as I said before each only uses about 80w max, and an overclocked i7 system with crossfired 5770s would probably use about 350w max (furmark, gaming, etc.), so a good 500w psu would still be fine, but just to be safe I would go with one of the top of the line 500w-600w psus just in case you do decide to switch gpus to a more power hungry card...

for around $100 you could get this Corsair CMPSU-550VX, a good psu with 41a on a single 12v rail, or the Antec TruePower New TP-550 550w with 20a on each of the four 12v rails, each is more than enough for your needs atm...

$80 and you could get this SeaSonic S12II 520w with 40a on a single rail, this is actually a better psu than the Corsair or the Antec, scoring a 9.7 on Jonnyguru's scale...

if it was me I would get the Seasonic, $80 may seem like a lot to spend on a psu, but you have to remember that the psu is usually the single most ignored and underrated part of any build, but at the same time the most important, delivering stable power to your parts will help all the other parts run smoothly...

if you want silence and THE absolute best of the best and if money is no issue then I would get this Seasonic X650 Gold, $154 is a lot to spend on a psu, even a quality one, but this is the best psu in it's wattage range period, it surpasses it's 80+ efficiency rating in even the harshest torture tests in reviews with the lowest efficiency rating in the multiple load tests near 90% (86%+) and every single review has bowed to it's magnificence and touted it as the best of best (which is saying a lot, there are a lot of great psus out there), it is so silent that some people have even thought that the fan was broken at first, because it doesn't even turn on until the unit hits 30C (which isn't often, sometimes it turns on, only to turn off minutes or seconds later after dipping back below 30C)...

a quote from one of the foremost psu testers around, Jonnyguru..."Hello? Is this thing on? Such were my first words when I powered up this unit for testing. The fan twitched and immediately stopped. It didn't turn on again until test three. And then it turned off again for crossload test one. It seems that Seasonic wasn't joking about this being a quiet unit... you just can't get much quieter than fanless. I like that the fan twitches just to let you know the unit isn't dead or something."

quite simply probably the best psu out and even moreso (if possible) if you are running a HTPC where silence is coveted above all else...

just my .02...
I'm seriously getting one of those. I was going to buy another 5770 when I got the money, but now I think I'm definitely getting one of those PSU's if my video card can still hold up decently... that's just flat out awesome. I wonder if they make a modular one...
__________________
C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2GHZ | Zalman 9900 LED HeatSink | Asus P5E3 Pro Motherboard | CM Storm Scout case | 1TB Caviar Black HDD | GTX760 4GB | 23" Acer [1920x1080] & 21.6" Asus [1920x1080] monitors
GibsonSGKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #26
Omnipotent One
 
Atomic Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 11,161
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: New PSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonSGKing View Post
They usually over shoot with the recommendations, just for people with junk PSU's.
People keep saying that, but nobody has ever shown where any manufacturer has ever said or confirmed that.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #27
Daemon Poster
 
GibsonSGKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: New PSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
People keep saying that, but nobody has ever shown where any manufacturer has ever said or confirmed that.
Huh. You know, you do have a very good point there. Come to think of it, that's why I say it, just because I've heard others say it. I guess I'm a sheep

I don't know exactly why they have the recommendations that high, but they are over kill in my eyes.
__________________
C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2GHZ | Zalman 9900 LED HeatSink | Asus P5E3 Pro Motherboard | CM Storm Scout case | 1TB Caviar Black HDD | GTX760 4GB | 23" Acer [1920x1080] & 21.6" Asus [1920x1080] monitors
GibsonSGKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #28
Omnicide now.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: My own personal hell
Posts: 10,014
Default Re: New PSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
People keep saying that, but nobody has ever shown where any manufacturer has ever said or confirmed that.
I have run quite a few graphics cards on significantly lower than recommended wattage psu's and all were just fine. Common sense says that AMD overshoots for overrated PSUs and possibly someone with other very power hungry parts.

I have run: 4850 x2 on 420w (650 was recommended)
4670 on 220w (350 recommended iirc)
5750 on 300w

Just be careful with some nVIDIA cards, they tend to suck tons of power.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #29
Omnipotent One
 
Atomic Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 11,161
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: New PSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonSGKing View Post
Come to think of it, that's why I say it, just because I've heard others say it.
He just proved your point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
Common sense says that AMD overshoots for overrated PSUs and possibly someone with other very power hungry parts.
I hear alot of people say it's "common sense" or they "assumed", but no one has ever shown why the manufacturer recommends what they do.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #30
Omnicide now.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: My own personal hell
Posts: 10,014
Default Re: New PSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
He just proved your point:

I hear alot of people say it's "common sense" or they "assumed", but no one has ever shown why the manufacturer recommends what they do.
I'll email them, but their techs tend to be very uninformed about anything that is not a typical question. i say there is a 50/50 chance that they give an intelligent response instead of '600w is recommended' or something.
__________________

foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0