Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #11
Beta Member

Default Re: New PC, need advice

Thanks everyone for your replies

First off I see SLI is not a recommended choice - why is that? Is it just not worth the extra money?

Do I overclock:
Well, I never really have tried it before, although I am willing to try it Isn't the hardware life greatly reduced by this, though?

I was just reading up on the ATI HD 4870 graphics card - wow!
This looks amazing

[quote]95% of games ATM run no more than two threads, therefore a quad core cannot be fully utilized and higher clock speeds will yield better performance. An E8400/E3110 is the one to go for.[quote]

Yeah ^^ but I want to be able to run games a few years from now still - surely its only a matter of time before more cores are utilized? ^^

Thanks ^^
Adoado

adoado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:42 AM   #12
Golden Master

Default Re: New PC, need advice

Quote:
First off I see SLI is not a recommended choice - why is that? Is it just not worth the
extra money?
Well, performance is just so unpredicatable. You may get almost twice the performance in one engine, yet in another, performance may be worse than a single card. That is why everyone generally recommends one powerul single GPU solution rather than two lower powered cards.
Quote:
Do I overclock:
Well, I never really have tried it before, although I am willing to try it Isn't the hardware life greatly reduced by this, though?
Your hardware's lifespan will be slightly reduced, yes. But it's nothing you will have to worry about as long as you keep the temperatures at a safe level.
Quote:
Yeah ^^ but I want to be able to run games a few years from now still - surely its only a matter of time before more cores are utilized? ^^
By the time that happens, you will need to upgrade anyway. You're better off with a dual for gaming now and upgrade later as there will always be something better.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote