New PC Help

Archlvt

In Runtime
Hi, I can't seem to get any help with picking out a pc, so I thought I'd google computer forums and well, here I am, so here's the post I've been using to get help with.

Right now I have an intel E6550 core 2 duo 2.33ghz, 2gb ram, and an nvidia 8600gt.

I'm looking to buy a new pc, and I found one that seems to have good reviews all around, as well as good seperate reviews for its video card and processor, but there are other things that I know very little about and would like some input about (such as the power supply for example).

Anyway, here is the pc in question:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5226182&Sku=C477-12127

With my current rig, I can only run dragon age on low-medium settings, with anti aliasing and and frame buffering effects OFF. While running around I get a steady 30-45 fps, and in battle and in areas with lots of npcs, I get about 10-15fps. My CPU gets taken up 100%, and my gpu heats up to 81-84c (though my CPU stays at 51c, I recently cleaned it out, so its nice and quiet now)

I'm pretty sure it's a yes, but will the NEW rig run dragon age at a perfect frame rate on max settings? And if so, how long will the new rig last me before I need to upgrade. 2 years? 3?

Now, I've ALSO been picking up on a lot of bad info about Cyberpower PCs, people saying that the product shows up either broken, wires frayed, parts missing, etc. The PCs just plain don't work. When they try to contact customer support, it takes them two weeks to even RESPOND to you, and more often than not you don't get any help and you're stuck with the broken PC.

I don't know if all of this is an exaggeration or what, but I went to youtube and I couldn't find a single bad video review on these guys, only positive ones. The bad reviews came from google.

Before you ask, yes, I know that building my own system can save me money and a headache, but I don't know how to put the parts together and I don't want to run the risk of spending $1,400 and then winding up with a broken pc, or one that I don't know how to build.

Also, I live in Canada, so a lot of sites that are recommended for people does not apply to me.

Thanks in advance! So sick of this old clunker :(

I've never experienced CyberPC considering I've built all my own stuff..

But if you're gonna spend 1400 on a computer why not drop it into something with good representation? Personally I'd continue searching until I find one that's gaming compatible + cheaper than that.

I wouldn't purchase it. Also, why don't you try updating your video card/RAM instead of buying a whole new PC?

Because like I said, my CPU gets taken up 100%, that's the bottleneck. Also, my win7 is about to expire and I don't have another OS to fall back on since my vista was corrupt by norton's evil internet security.

In order to make this thing worth keeping, I'd have to upgrade the ram, the graphics, the cpu, buy a new OS, power supply, etc. Why bother doing all that when I can just buy a new pc?

Money isn't an issue, I don't need cheap, I need good. $1500 should suffice for a gaming pc.

I have been looking around, and I don't see any other pre-built pcs with those specs for that price. Everything else in that price range has nvidia 9xxx series cards with 3 gb ram, etc.

Since I will have tiger directs 30 day guarantee, I won't have to deal with Cyber either, so the poor customer support isn't really an issue.

http://www.ibuypower.com/

Their pc's aren't too much more expensive than building it yourself, and they come with good warranties. The only bad thing I've heard is that they often run out of parts, so the computer might take a while to ship.

edit: I just built one on the ibuypower site with much better specs than that Cyberpower, for about the same price. Same processor (with 10% overclock), XFX XXX edition Radeon HD5850, free liquid cooling, 2x4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Win7 Pro, some other cool stuff, and their standard 3-year warranty and lifetime tech support.

iBuyPower.com.

Their pc's aren't too much more expensive than building it yourself, and they come with good warranties. The only bad thing I've heard is that they often run out of parts, so the computer might take a while to ship.

http://www.ibuypower.com/

I'm not a techie, but the systems on there that are the same price are considerably weaker than the one from tigerdirect, or it seems that way anyway.

Also, ibuypower is the sister company to cyberpower, it's essentially the same company with the same poor customer service and the same likelihood of being sent a pc with broken or missing parts.

edit: I just built one on the ibuypower site with much better specs than that Cyberpower, for about the same price. Same processor (with 10% overclock), XFX XXX edition Radeon HD5850, free liquid cooling, 2x4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Win7 Pro, some other cool stuff, and their standard 3-year warranty and lifetime tech support.

Then clearly I just don't know enough about PCs to custom make one. I don't know enough about what's good and what isn't. I'm screwed.

No you aren't, you have us!

edit: ibuypower and cyberpower are not sister companies. They aren't wholly unrelated, but they aren't the same company.

You'll get the best price if you build it yourself, though...it's not hard. Everything only fits in one hole. We can help you pick put the parts.

Ahah, well so far I only seem to have been taking steps backwards here heh, now I have no idea what to buy whereas before I at least had my mind set on something.

Overclocked Intel Core i7 920 (3.2GHz, 8MB Cache)
12GB Triple Channel 1333MHz DDR3
Single ATI Radeon HD 5970, 2GB GDDR5
500GB - SATA-II 3Gb/s 7200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD
Cosmic Black, Alienware Aurora Chassis, 875W PSU
Dual Drives: Blu-ray Disc (BD) Combo (BD-ROM; DVD/CD Burner) and DVD-ROM
CYBERLINK PDVD 8.0 ANW
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Killer Xeno Pro
Alienware High-Performance Liquid Cooling

I assume you're referring to what you were capable of making on ibuypower.com using $1400?

Back
Top Bottom