New PC Builder - Asking Advice

Z3ro Flaw

Beta member
This is my first time building a computer. I have replaced a CPU, Power Supply, Mobo and RAM before in my existing computer after they have broke. What I am mainly looking for are any possible oversights that a new builder may be missing.

Are there conflicts with the RAM not being supported with the mobo?

Any suggestions on whats a good thermal paste to use for your CPU?

Does my new rig setup allow for some overclocking?

I have never overclocked anything before but I was mainly wanting to buff up my CPU speed (at some point) with the aftermarket cpu heat sink to above 3.0 ghz as safely as I could with just the case fans and cpu sink.

I also may use a second video card so I wanted to make sure that my power supply was going to have enough juice to support added peripherals.

-COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower

-MSI X58 Eclipse SLI LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

-Intel Core i7 940 Nehalem 2.93GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

-SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported

-Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

-G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory

-Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

-SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F

-Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series

-Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit

- Thermaltake V1 Max-Performance CPU Cooler with Massive 110mm Blue LED Full-Range Variable Speed Fan Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition & Core i7 Ready LGA 1366 CL-P0401

Thank you for taking the time to look at my thread and provide feedback. :D

Also, I have been debating on if I should go with Vista Home Premium 64bit or stay with XP64? I mainly use my computer to play games and I know that not a lot of games and software take advantage of a 64bit OS but I would like to future proof myself as much as passable.

Are there issues with the new Core i7 and/or X58 chipsets running on XP versus Vista?

Are there limits to the amount of RAM that the OS will actually recognize and use in vista64 or xp64?

I know these are lots of questions but I'm looking for as much info as I can before I order the parts. I'm looking at buying these parts very soon (like before Christmas).

Thanks again. :)

That's a great build. I like your choice on the case. I would get one myself, but I've heard it's REALLY heavy. That's nice choice on the motherboard, but I'd take a look at the Asus P6T Deluxe with OC Palm. This motherboard will be a better OC, especially because it comes with an OC'ing tool! Good choice picking the new Core i7 architecture, I love it. If you're planning on adding that second card later than you did well in the PSU choice. It should last you a while. The RAM will function with the MSI or the Asus motherboard perfectly. As far as HDD, I suggest you take a look at the Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB. The F1 is supposed to be one of the fastest 7200RPM. The sound card is good too; it will help optimize performance from the CPU by removing some load. As far as thermal paste, word on the street is that the Arctic Cooling MX-2 has been pretty good. Ultimately, the difference in thermal paste will make very little difference in heat dissipation when applied properly. You probably begin to notice a difference when you start pushing the CPU as far as it can go.

The Core i7 allows for some great OC'ing so long the power output doesn't exceed 130W (if I'm not mistaken). Anything higher than that will cause the CPU to shutdown.

Back
Top Bottom