New pc build disappointing need advice

Pfunkmd

Solid State Member
Hi guys just need some suggestions. I just built a new gaming rig and it is not performing. The pc is super fast 15 second boot fast loading everything is working great. The problem I am having is the gaming quality is not very good. With crisis set on high (not maxed) it lags ans skips on my tv and the fps are awful. the computer is totally updated with all of the current drivers installed so I am not sure what to do next. I have a notebook that plays games better than my pc. My pc has a better gpu than my notebook so it should be a better gamer but it is not. The notebook was not marketed as a gaming rig but is plays games pretty well. So did I just build a gaming rig for nothing is my notebook really just as good or am I doing something wrong?

Notebook lenovo g770

Intel Core i5 650 - 3,2 GHz Dual-Core Processor ( not better than the sandy bridge i3)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Lenovo Enhanced Experience with RapidBoot technology
17.3" HD Glare with integrated camera (1600x900), 16:9 widescreen
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6650M 1GB
8 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz
Hard Drive: 750GB 5400
Integrated Bluetooth Version 2.1 + EDR
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
USB 2.0 connectors & 5-in-1 card reader
Integrated 2.0MP camera
Stereo speakers
HD graphics support and HDMI output
VeriFace face recognition
OneKey Rescue System

Home built pc
motherboard- asrock z68 Extreme 3 Gen3
cpu- i3 2120
hhd- 320 gig 7200 rpm Maxtor
gpu- ASUS EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5 Graphics card - 1 GB - GDDR5 SDRAM
psu-corsair gs700
ssd- 62g forget the make
ram kingston hyperX 4gb

To be Honest, its almost impossible to play games like that on high, without Some extra stuff. It might be your ram, or your video card i have 16 ram and i can play battlefield 3 no lag :D

To be Honest, its almost impossible to play games like that on high, without Some extra stuff. It might be your ram, or your video card i have 16 ram and i can play battlefield 3 no lag :D

Sorry for the late reply. I guess I will get a little more ram and another 6870 oh well only another 200 wife will be pissed lol :hide:

I do think that the fact it is a laptop, gaming is not that good on them. I would stick to the desktop for gaming in future as these are easy to upgrade, safer to overclock and they are just generally better for gaming as it is more comfortable. If you are gaming laptops can suffer heat issues unless that laptop is dedicated for gaming.

Admitidely that graphics card is not amazing, yes it is 1GB but you might find that the engine/memory clocks are low and like I said earlier, overclocking is dangerous on laptops for heat issues.
I wouldn't say that the processor is that much of an issue because it has some decent Ghz and you will find one of the latest i3/i5/i7 series intel will not cause games to have laggy performance.

Just stick to the desktop, many people I know have come across this problem when gaming on laptops.

I do think that the fact it is a laptop, gaming is not that good on them. I would stick to the desktop for gaming in future as these are easy to upgrade, safer to overclock and they are just generally better for gaming as it is more comfortable. If you are gaming laptops can suffer heat issues unless that laptop is dedicated for gaming.

Admitidely that graphics card is not amazing, yes it is 1GB but you might find that the engine/memory clocks are low and like I said earlier, overclocking is dangerous on laptops for heat issues.
I wouldn't say that the processor is that much of an issue because it has some decent Ghz and you will find one of the latest i3/i5/i7 series intel will not cause games to have laggy performance.

Just stick to the desktop, many people I know have come across this problem when gaming on laptops.
If the laptop meets the requirement specs for gaming then they should be ok, no different to normal PC's....
I've seen many games played on lappy's.

I'll probably catch hell for this, but I kinda think it may be the CPU that is bottlenecking your system. Are you overclocking? What OS are you running? 32 or 64 bit? More RAM probably wouldn't hurt so long as you're running a 64 bit OS.

Pfunkmd's running on a TV, so chances are he's on a very high resolution, probably HD, and running at high settings, which, as far as I'm concerned, could lag a card of that caliber, but after looking at a few vids and some numbers, that card looks to be better than it initially appears.

I dislike Crysis, TBH; people pour all over it because it lags computers - no, it was terrible programming; works badly, because it was made badly, graphically speaking. It's practically designed for a console, because I'd expect that sort of performance on a cheap console game. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but oh well. I also found Crysis was full of bugs which just really put me off playing it. Maybe one day I'll give it another shot, but I doubt it. I love Crysis 2, however; that game was made quite well, regardless of it apparently being "consoley".

(sorry for digressing, Pfunkmd)

If I'm a bazillion miles off, it's 'cause it's 7am and I've still not slept, after having a long and tiring day. *goes to bed*

Back
Top Bottom