new PC after 5 years :)

liquidmonkey

In Runtime
am looking at getting a new rig as my current PC recently turned 5 which is = 50 in computer years :)

anywho, this is what i'm thinking...

Asus P6T Motherboard
Intel Core i7 (quad core) 2.66GHz 45nm
Nvidia GeForce GTX 295
Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 PC10600 1333MHz 2GB x 3 = 6gig
Corsair TX650W Power Supply
Antec Nine Hundred Case
already have HDD's, keyboard, mice, monitors and dvd burner.

and here are some questions....

- the corei7 are very costly at the moment and so are the mobo's that go along with them. will there be a price drop in the summer in your opinion?

- or should i get another quadcore chip / mobo to keep things cheaper?

- the antec 900 looks good but i've heard the 1200 is heaps better but in what way?

- can the gtx295 run 3 monitors as it has the extra HDMI slot which is awesome for watching HD stuff :)

- will the power supply be enough? i have zero clue in that department :(

thanks in advance :)

If you're in the US, you can get most of the stuff for a Core i7 build the cheapest from micro center.

Not really, I usually only see the CPU being the cheapest since they compare their CPU to the cheapest.
But for like the Ram, Mobo, GPU, HDD, etc, they are usually more expensive (sometimes by few dollars, sometimes more), unless they are on sale.

I havent been to micro center in awhile. I should go back and check it out...

They had an i7 motherboard and some ddr3 for cheaper than you can find on newegg. And a cooler master case, as well as an OCZ power supply.

thanks for the tips but i'm not in the US.
So, where are you? In the UK? Aus.?

And could you give us a little more info:
- What do you need if for?
- Do you overclock?
- What's your budget?
- What is your monitor's native res?

any reason why you want 6gigs of ram? other than that. I think it looks decent. Nice CPU by the way :)

i am in sweden but hopefully will buy everything in canada when i visit at the end of summer.
things are generally 10 to 20% more expensive here in sweden than in canada but will see after i'm done comparing.

i like to game and like to do a lot of picture and video editing. also have 2 24" monitors which run at 1920 x 1200.
nope, i'm not an overclocker but could get into it if its safe and doesn't do any damage (ie, i can keep it overclocked for at least 3 years with no problems).

i guess the video card should be able to handle that but you can never have enough RAM...

plus, will be running windows 7 64-bit when it comes out. that CPU i want is 64-bit ready right???

as far as budget. i didn't have one at the start but after seeing prices for core i7 and the mobo's that come with them, i might go for another chipset but am not sure at this point. any suggestions?

the vid card is a MUST. my current geforce 6800 GTX has kept my PC going pretty good :) and i would expect the same from the gtx295 :)

Back
Top Bottom