Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-15-2007, 06:36 PM   #11
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to THEpiGUY
Default Re: New parts came in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOwner View Post
Well, I'm still waiting for the heatsink/fan to come in (they're stock AMD cooler for the X2 so you know what it looks like) but in the meantime, I'm going to get the RAM installed. Here's a peek at the parts. The G.Skill is retail and there it is. The little stickers are pretty cool I guess, but I'm just going to end up throwing them away .

The CPU is OEM and for those of you inquiring what an OEM CPU comes with, it comes with NOTHING, but the CPU. It is well protected during packing with styrofoam inside the plastic CPU carrying case and bubble wrap on the outside as you can see.

The Arctic Silver is a tiny, tiny little syringe like tube. Very small. I'll be putting some on when I get the sinkfan. Come on FedEx, where are YOU?!?!??!??!?!?!?!?! You got smoked by UPS, lol.
Nice, finally made the jump to dual core, eh? Are you planning on overclocking that Toledo, because I've had great success with the one I recently ordered. I had it stable at 3GHz, but it was way too hot, so I had to bump the voltage and frequency down. I'm running at 2.7GHz at stock voltage right now.

Best of luck to you if you overclock it. Those LCBIE's tend to overclock pretty well too from what I've read.

I think I've decided to leave... maybe I'll come back sometime.
THEpiGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
Golden Master

I'll give it a mild OC at first, but I'll burn it in for a bit before I try anything. Right now, the CPU is spiking at 100% on my old single core. Not good, but I've got Crysis going at......44fps exactly right now. Damn. Before the RAM, I was getting only anywhere from 1-5fps. 10-15fps at most if I look at the sky, lol. Can you imagine with the X2 put in??!?! Nuts. I say forget about the new build. Doesn't look like I need it anymore.

Are you still running Socket 939 too?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:44 PM   #13
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to D-Lew

Yeah, he is. Are you going to be using an old OEM fan on it or do you have a proper HSF in the mail for it? If you're looking for a good cheap one try Arctic Cooling, that's what both he and I run and they are niiiiice.
D-Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:45 PM   #14
Daemon Poster

Yup, still rocking the 939. And I don't see any upgrades in the near future. TBH, I'm quite happy with 939. It has lasted me a good two years so far, and I haven't come across a game it can't handle. Of course, that'll change in a few years when games use four cores, but I'm very happy with this until then.

And I can't believe the extra RAM helped that much. That's amazing!

Old 11-15-2007, 06:48 PM   #15
Golden Master

I've got the stock OEM fan on order at the moment. I have a concern with my motherboard since some of the huge capacitors are so close to the retention module. It depends on the motherboard design though. Plus, the RAM is pretty close too. I thought about a Zalman cooler, but they're huge. I didn't want to take any risk so I just got stock cooling for now. I just want to get this thing running and see that CPU red zone go back down to green. Crysis uses more RAM than UT3 looks like as it's at 58% load. It would crawl before because the RAM peaks at 100%.

Would you happen to have a link to that Arctic Cooling fan you're talking about? I'll take a look at it and maybe buy it depends on how it looks. I'll look at the dimensions too.

Ahhhhhahhahaha, my fan came!!!!!!!! I'll be back with the CPU installed, hehe.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:52 PM   #16
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOwner View Post
Would you happen to have a link to that Arctic Cooling fan you're talking about? I'll take a look at it and maybe buy it depends on how it looks. I'll look at the dimensions too.
It's kinda big...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...k=Freezer%2b64

edit: lulz, I beat you D-Lew.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:52 PM   #17
Fully Optimized

They have come down a lot since I bought mine, wow. I think it was $35 for me. Something like that. Anyway...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...zer%2b64%2bpro

If you want it, I would recommend putting everything in first since it's usually a tight fit. But if it's in an ATX case you should have plenty of room.

If you end up getting it, make sure to let me know cause I have another good piece of advice, but it's slightly lengthy.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:57 PM   #18
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀

Looks good what version of the G.Skill did you get? My heatsinks are blue. I got the same stickers I put one on the front and the two little G.Skills ones on the top of my case.
ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:58 PM   #19
Golden Master

Lol, you know what? The heatsink already has some sort of a thin thermal layer of coating on it that's silver in color. That's pretty neat. I guess I wasted $10 for Arctic Silver 5, lol.

The G Skill I got was a generic one with the red heatspreader:

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231047

I didn't want to spend tooo much so I got the cheapest one they had.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:00 PM   #20
Fully Optimized

Yeah all heatsinks will come with that stuff but I think the AS works better. Seems like I reseated it and got another 1-2 degrees cooler.