Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-05-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
Baseband Member
Send a message via AIM to Day5InJanuary
Default new notebook virusscan question?

i just had a question that has been bothering me for awhile..a couple days ago i bought a Dell XPS M140 notbook....it says that it comes with free 15 months of mcafee virus scan....i understand that after the time trial you have to pay for..thats fine..i am just confused becasue i go to college and at my school you must sign into the network from a private program my school has called sisco systems...a screen comes up you put in your user name and password and then you are logged in to the networks. but at my school they already have the same mcafee virusscan that comes free with the network at school...i have my dell dimension 4500 at my dorm room now and even when i bring my computer home on breaks my mcafee still is running and protecting....when i get my notebook and come to school and oput in the ethernet cable...what should i do about the security....the dell notebook comes pre installed with the mcafee virus scan......will this conflict with my school internet..i know some kids had trouble with there security systems conflicting with the school networks security....i dont want to mess up my notebook the first day i get it???????? what should i do? and i am sorry i posted this is the wrong section

Day5InJanuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
Default Re: new notebook virusscan question?

keep the mcafee on your computer to protect it....the flash screen of mcafee you see when you sign onto the network is the mcafee on the network server letting you know that the network server is protected....of course, i could be wrong, but i think that's the correct explanation.
Antec 300 Case, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3GHz, Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L, PNY 4GB PC6400 800MHz DDR2 RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5550 1GB DDR3 Ram, 1TB Western Digital Black 7200 32MB cache, 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Antec Earthwatts 500 Watts
thebigdintx is offline   Reply With Quote