NEW , Need help Upgrading

vaironl

In Runtime
I Am new i have desktop and a laptop I am a teenager and i cannot afford more than 300 dollars in customization . ( I know i won't be able to do much)
Because i heard i can't upgrade my laptop Graphics.
I wan't my desktop To be upgraded in a manner that i can play Medium-High Graphics games.
WOW, Modern warfare 2, Singularity... Stuff like that

So this is my system and i would like to know if i got to upgrade The fan and add another one, ETC stuff like that.
I'm pretty sure the RAM and Graphic card are going to be upgraded.
BTW Guides how to do this stuff ahead or where to get it would be good.

[INFO ABOUT MY DESKTOP]
Windows vista home premium
AMD Athlon(tm)64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
1.50GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
[It is not customize everything is factory] ( YES PROB IT SUCKS)

Well, I would go with an AMD athlon Tri core, they are the best bang for your buck at around 80 dollars on Newegg.com. Hmm soo graphics...graphics...graphics...well since you have a NVidia graphics card might as well stick to Nvidia :/.....GTX 460 at lowest 159 dollars :D again on Newegg.com. And if you gots right motherboard you can unlock that fourth core on the AMD Athlon tri core. This should get you to medium to high and WoW ugh....almost full ultra. Oh, and if you can pony up and pay for at least 4 GB of RAM you will be good.

how about selling your current system and then buy a new system with the money from your desktop and the $300 :)

how about selling your current system and then buy a new system with the money from your desktop and the $300 :)

He probably wouldn't get enough to make it worthwhile...

@OP, you won't be able to do a full upgrade to what you want with the budget that you have.

What size case do you have?

Assuming it is mid ATX or larger, your best use of your money would be on:

Motherboard: Newegg.com - ASRock 880GXH/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Memory: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL

CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX

Power supply: Newegg.com - SeaSonic SS-500ET Bronze 500W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Total = $291
$302 with shipping.

It will not be playing the games that you want though, get saving for a graphics card for that. Around $100-120 extra for a card that is enough, unless you look for a used GTX260/HD4850/HD5770 on ebay or craigslist or another site like those.

You could *probably* get it for $300 or just over, however you will be crapping out on a lot of components, going for cheaper, lower quality parts which really wouldn't be worth rushing into just to have it, it would be a simple purchase, rather than an investment, which a computer really should be to get the most efficiency/value for money

My PC is a Dell inspiron 531s
So i don't know exactly how to find the case size help on that.

He probably wouldn't get enough to make it worthwhile...

@OP, you won't be able to do a full upgrade to what you want with the budget that you have.

What size case do you have?

Assuming it is mid ATX or larger, your best use of your money would be on:

Motherboard: Newegg.com - ASRock 880GXH/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Memory: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL

CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX

Power supply: Newegg.com - SeaSonic SS-500ET Bronze 500W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Total = $291
$302 with shipping.

It will not be playing the games that you want though, get saving for a graphics card for that. Around $100-120 extra for a card that is enough, unless you look for a used GTX260/HD4850/HD5770 on ebay or craigslist or another site like those.

You could *probably* get it for $300 or just over, however you will be crapping out on a lot of components, going for cheaper, lower quality parts which really wouldn't be worth rushing into just to have it, it would be a simple purchase, rather than an investment, which a computer really should be to get the most efficiency/value for money

My computer can only take 1GB per slot and has 4 slots

You are out of luck, the s on the end = slim, you have a small, custom form factor case case, so ATX boards and power supplies won't fit, and only low profile video cards will fit.

On top of the parts listed, you will also need a case

TBH i wouldnt upgrade that old dell
foot head posted a great build for $300
the AMD X2 250 is a very good CPU for the price

I personally don't see the point in building a rig that is lower than his needs... $300 isn't enough for a system to play the newest games, even the ones he listed. WoW will be fine, MW2 will be ok on medium settings, singularity recomended is his CPU + 3850 + 2GB RAM, he will be on low - medium settings of games out now, and what about 6 months later, when his system will run games on lowest settings at sluggish fps?

That is $300 spent just to have to pretty much fully rebuild, all over again, or do some now, and save up, or just save up an extra $100 or so, to get better hardware when he has the money because prices have dropped slightly

I personally don't see the point in building a rig that is lower than his needs... $300 isn't enough for a system to play the newest games, even the ones he listed. WoW will be fine, MW2 will be ok on medium settings, singularity recomended is his CPU + 3850 + 2GB RAM, he will be on low - medium settings of games out now, and what about 6 months later, when his system will run games on lowest settings at sluggish fps?

Not the case at all. I've run new games on a P4 with 1GB RAM and a 4670. Also, most of the games tend to be GPU limited, and a HD 4830 isn't too shabby.

I say it'd run pretty much everything at medium or higher. It'll make short work of console ports too.

Back
Top Bottom