New and in need of help

foolinthemoon

Solid State Member
Hi! I HAD a dell, it messed up my mom sent it to a friend of a friend (this was a couple of years ago) and sent me something back that didn't resemble my computer at all, I told him that wasn't cutting it, i paid 1200 dollars PLUS all the upgrades, (i got my processor back...) well, now my motherboards bad, and i wouldn't send that guy my old calculator cause he'll replace it with a dollar tree version. Sorry about that.

The point is, i know nothing about computers, I think my motherboard is bad, My floppy won't read disk, and when it does it says its not formatted... my cd rom will read disc, but even after reinstalling the CORRECT driver, it won't do anything more then that, and i should be able to write,but can't. I have 256 of ram, and my computer acts like i have none. it keeps saying i dont' have enough ram to run this or run that, and i'll only be running one program.
It freezes up alot, i get the dreaded blue screen of death everyonce in awhile.
i've reformatted my hard drive SEVERAL times, and now i can't restore or defrag or even run a scan disc, infact, it took 10 hours to run a scan disc the other day.

can someone help me please????? :confused:

Wow, dosent sound to good. Try sending the computer back to Del it wil cost you an arm and a leg as Dell love ripping their cusotmers off :( I f you get a computer try not to get a Dell they are very expencive to repair as Dell do shit things so you cant go get it fixed in a shop for cheaper so you bring Dell more custom and charge you silly prices for a silly job, and their customer service is poop. Just my personal oppinion :)

specs? its a pentium 4 processor, (2) 128 MB PC600-53 RAM, Maxtor 40GB ATA/133 HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce 2, 40/24/40 CD-R, 3 1/2 Floppy

I think the Pentium 4 is 2.5 GHz but i'm not sure, it was a long time ago, and i don't see anywhere in the case that says it. If there was something specific you wanted and i didnt' list it, if you could tell me what and how to find out about it i'd be appreciative.

Thats as much as i can see about it, keep in mind i just have it for personal use, and simming. It used to be bigger and badder before i sent it to 'that guy'.

As far as the ram goes, i do have an extra 256, however it won't fit in my motherboard, the notches are different, mine look like ______/\___/\_______ and the other one looks like ______/\__________/\____ I hope that made sense.

oh, and i agree, i'll NEVER own another dell, they do rip you off, and the service is worse then poop... in fact, i think i've told everyone i've ever met about my story of how the POWER button stopped working a WEEK after the warrenty ran out, and the lady wouldn't even let me talk to a tech to just see what was wrong with it, so i could see if i could fix it myself or i had to take it to a local technician...

Sounds like you got a problem there, What OS are you using? If you really need this PC up and running right away your best bet will proablly be to bring it to a local PC shop they could probally fix it within a day or so.

But if you have time, i'm sure we can help you though this to get it up and running.

So let us know....

foolinthemoon said:
Hi! I HAD a dell, it messed up my mom sent it to a friend of a friend (this was a couple of years ago) and sent me something back that didn't resemble my computer at all, I told him that wasn't cutting it, i paid 1200 dollars PLUS all the upgrades, (i got my processor back...) well, now my motherboards bad, and i wouldn't send that guy my old calculator cause he'll replace it with a dollar tree version. Sorry about that.

The point is, i know nothing about computers, I think my motherboard is bad, My floppy won't read disk, and when it does it says its not formatted... my cd rom will read disc, but even after reinstalling the CORRECT driver, it won't do anything more then that, and i should be able to write,but can't. I have 256 of ram, and my computer acts like i have none. it keeps saying i dont' have enough ram to run this or run that, and i'll only be running one program.
It freezes up alot, i get the dreaded blue screen of death everyonce in awhile.
i've reformatted my hard drive SEVERAL times, and now i can't restore or defrag or even run a scan disc, infact, it took 10 hours to run a scan disc the other day.

can someone help me please????? :confused:

Using ME

While i would love to take it to a shop, i can't, i just don't have the funds. I thought about switching out motherboards from mine to my moms old one, i think it's an Athelon or something...

ohh man, well for starters do you have anyother OS you can borrow or anything? i mean even win98 over ME, ME is the ghetto child of Microsofts OS, so if you have anything better or can borrow somthing better i would use that.

But lets start from the begining, The PC you have turns on and boots up all the way into windows ME now correct?

Yes it does, it'll run and let me do alot of stuff, play games, save projects and so on.

I'm suppose to be borrowing a xp upgrade from a friend

Back
Top Bottom