Which New Motherboard Should I get?

ep2002

In Runtime
Unfortunately I'm in Panama now & I don't know if I should buy a MB from here or what.

I bought a new video card & had it sent in & it won't work with the old MB. The MB really does need to be changed too since everything else has been changed (memory, HD, power supply), but I don't know if I have the money right now.

The video card has to be changed ASAP, it's about ready to blow. I've been holding on by a thread with the old one.

I called the computer store recommended by expats & the guy isn't there. The girl told me they have Astrok (?) MBs & they are $68. Has anyone heard of that one, any good?

Which MBs are the best so I can search prices. Problem is I can't wait for it to be shipped in. I have to take the computer in now. I'm seeing pink on my screen now.

It was recommended to update the bios settings to accomodate the new video card, but if they screw it up, I'm out a MB.

Thanks

Michelle

i think you meen asrock. those are usaly in the cheap end of motherboards.
usaly the cheaper it gets the worse it overclocks and manage power (bad powerdesign also meens more heat and un-needed power is used).
but if you are on a budget and dont overclock, then most motherboards that got what you need is fine.
just make sure you reed a review first before buying it.

Yeh I had a feeling.

So what other brand names are good & which model numbers should I be looking for?

I have to get this fixed. I am not even getting proper screen resolution now, it must have deleted the one I was using. Just scary.

I wish someone could just help me via the phone to update the Bios Settings & help direct me on where to put the video card so I don't have to take it into that computer store tomorrow :(

I don't even know if I can trust them to do it & I don't even know what's a proper price to pay. I figured maybe I'd just replace the MB, but if all they have is cheap crap, forget it.

Yes I'm on a budget, but how much are the good ones?

Thanks

Michelle

ASRock mobos are excellent in my opinion, mine has not fail me and has made overclocking simple, even though it is a high end board

i didn't say anything about asrock being a crap brand, they just make cheaper motherboards. cheaper is good if you don't need much of motherboard.
asrock delivers some good low end motherboards. also some great mid end.
asus is my favorite brand when it comes to motherboards. they have great high, mid and low end motherboards.
but other brands make good motherboards as well. it's about finding the motherboard this is right for you.
you usaly get more from a asus board rather then asrock when it comes to quality, but the price increases as well.

what it is going to cost depends on what you need.
i am from denmark and anything is more expensive up here, so i can't really tell what a average price is.

i don't know if it is the motherboards fault that the resolution is changing.

what will you espect from a new motherboard?
you will not get better performance by switching motherboard alone.
you switch motherboard to add support for new hardware or other/better features.

It depends on what you're looking for and what features you want. ASRock and Foxconn make great entry level and middle of the road boards. For your higher end boards, I've had great experiences with Biostar, Asus and Gigabyte.

Please go back & re-read what I wrote initially you seem confused about why I need a new MB.

As for what I expect in a MB, I don't know what to expect. What are the differences?

Michelle

First thing, you got to make sure the processor will fit in the new board.

ASRock is a direct brand from ASUS and I haven't had an issue on these boards. 1 ASUS and 1 ASRock gave out on me while the rest continued strong.

Sometimes, less money doesn't always mean a cheaper quality board, but it will lack some features that some end user might not need, like overclocking capabilities, a more advanced power feature, and a few branded feature (ASRock board are also known to advertise the AMD CPU core unlock feature).

What is your current system specifications?

First thing, you got to make sure the processor will fit in the new board.

Crap, how do I do that??? I thought the MB was just a piece you take out & put back in :(

Sometimes, less money doesn't always mean a cheaper quality board, but it will lack some features that some end user might not need, like overclocking capabilities, a more advanced power feature, and a few branded feature (ASRock board are also known to advertise the AMD CPU core unlock feature).

I don't know what overclocking means.
Don't know what a core unlock feature is.

I'm the type of user who runs a lot of different programs all at the same time & I'm a fast worker, so I'm usually faster than the computer when it comes to opening, closing links, software, etc., or clicking on buttons.

What is your current system specifications?

Here are my stats http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Z2DrgGoAyMItCX1LTTQz65E

Here is the new video card - Gigabyte HD 5450

Someone just told me NOT to get a new MB. Now I'm VERY stressed.

She's telling me that the other components won't work with the new MB.

She of course suggested I just get a new computer, but I don't have money for that. I barely have the money for the new MB.

As I already stated, the HD is new, power supply, the memory is supposed to be new, but someone on another forum said it's very old. How can that be, I just bought it from Best Buy a year ago (maybe slightly longer)<sigh>.

I'm going to have to find someone to hire online to do the Bios settings with me - this is nuts. The computer store guy didn't call me back after I waited all day.

If you know anything about Panamanians, they are terrible at business & 99% of them don't care about their customers, so I could be in BIG trouble locally with no one to help me.

Crap, how do I do that??? I thought the MB was just a piece you take out & put back in :(

then you will be very wrong. it is the most or second most troubling part to switch. you don't seem to have a clue about what hardware is, so i will not recommend switching it you self.

Someone just told me NOT to get a new MB. Now I'm VERY stressed.
She's telling me that the other components won't work with the new MB.
She of course suggested I just get a new computer, but I don't have money for that. I barely have the money for the new MB.

she/he will be right. don't switch the motherboard.
if you really wont to do so, then it will only be worth doing if you get one with support for newer cpu's. that also meens that you need to buy new cpu as well because that your current cpu is not supportet by newer motherboards.
also newer motherboards uses DDR3 RAM, so you need that as well. it is gonna be a hole new computer. and sense you can't build it you self, you need to pay other to build it for you. in that case you might as well buy a new computer.

As I already stated, the HD is new, power supply, the memory is supposed to be new, but someone on another forum said it's very old. How can that be, I just bought it from Best Buy a year ago (maybe slightly longer)<sigh>.

your ram ofcause is old sense it is ddr2. they are also not the fastes ddr2 ram.
so yeah, they are old.

I'm going to have to find someone to hire online to do the Bios settings with me - this is nuts. The computer store guy didn't call me back after I waited all day.

why will you bother updating the BIOS. usaly BIOS update is only done by people how overclock or does some special with there computers.
if it works it works. (and before you ask: no, the resolution problem is not caused by the BIOS)

so you are having some problems with your computer.
what makes you think it is hardware problems and not software?

Back
Top Bottom