Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-06-2005, 11:41 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default new mobo setup

ok so i have this asus board i'm trying to install(i know its already in my sig) the old mobo is an intel 915gag. I can pull the old mobo out and get the new one up in running in less than 10 minutes, my problem is i cant get past the login screen because it says i have to register windows before i can log in via internet, but how am i supposed to do that if it doesn't give me a chance to install the ethernet drivers? it might work if i booted in safe mode but i don't know how. maybe if somebody could give me a step-by-step on how to set up a new mobo, because i think the new hardware isn't getting along with the old software.

Intel P4 530 @3.15 Ghz, ASUS P5GDC-V Deluxe, Barracuda 200GB SATA HD,500 Watt Glacier Power Supply, ATI Radeon X800 XT PCI-e,1.553 GB PC3200 DDR400 RAM, tv out: 27" flat screen,optical out: 500 watt 5.1 surround, 3dmark03:11551, top fps:1200+ chit-chigity check yo self before you wreck yo self, cuz shotgun bullets are bad for ya health.
j Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:52 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: new mobo setup

Switching MOBO
(old system)
pop in your XP cd.. go to this folder:
support\tools\deploy.cab
Make a new folder in your c:\ called Sysprep
(Notice the capital in the sysprep)
Extract the files from deploy.cab to c:\SysprepGo to your new folder. Double click sysprep.exe
make sure you have the "Shutdown" selected in the dropdown.
Click the "reseal" button. NOW
Dont do a darn thing. Let the computer shut down.
This may take a few minutes.. Swap over your Motherboard and CPU.
Start the system and you'll see the computer will start to boot
into the new user mode.
Have your cd key ready. now your all set. At the user section add a new user.. Not the same user name
as you had before.. Enter the new user then log out.. Log into
your old user name and you can now safly delete the "new" user
you had to create.

lurkswithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 12:09 AM   #3
In Runtime

ok now here's the thing, i don't have any kind of cd key, i originally bought this computer from a store and i didn't get one but windows still installed fine. a new copy of xp cost like $100, will just a boot disk work? or is ther some way around this? i had the mobo working before and it said i had x number of days to register but i didn't have the right ethernet driver so i put the old board back in a whie ago, got the driver cd today and put the asus in ,now its giving me this crap. also i had it booted in safe mode but cant do it now, how do you boot in safe mode if it doesn't prompt you to do so?
Intel P4 530 @3.15 Ghz, ASUS P5GDC-V Deluxe, Barracuda 200GB SATA HD,500 Watt Glacier Power Supply, ATI Radeon X800 XT PCI-e,1.553 GB PC3200 DDR400 RAM, tv out: 27" flat screen,optical out: 500 watt 5.1 surround, 3dmark03:11551, top fps:1200+ chit-chigity check yo self before you wreck yo self, cuz shotgun bullets are bad for ya health.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:45 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

1) google for "everest" utillity to find your installed key on your old set up. That should be the one that you need or look on back/side/front for M$ sticker and COA (key)
2) To get to safe mode from boot you toggle the F8 key right at power on/reboot and it will get you to start-up page and you choose safemode.
3) If you waited past 30 day activation date there is nothing you can do except activate by internet or phone or completely REINSTALL xp to start the 30 days over. There is no getting around this.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:24 AM   #5
In Runtime

ah, thanks a bunch, hopefully that'll do it
Old 05-07-2005, 04:13 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

No problem! I do believe that finding answers is what we all try to achieve.