New Machine

zarlo88

Solid State Member
Heavy Gamer here! Haven't upgraded for roughly 4 years so basically, here goes. This is what I'm thinking of buying, within the next few days. Please point out anything you would change, and give some input - don't want to waste my money. I'm not a PC technician or anything hence seeking proper feedback. Here are the specs:

GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB, (G92) PCI Express
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850, 3.00GHz
eVGA nForce 680i SE SLI Mainboard LITE SKU 122-CK-NF63-TR
G.Skill 2GB PC2-6400 DDR2 4-4-3-5 DC -F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK
226BW 22" Wide 2ms LCD Monitor
500GB WD 7200rpm SATA2 16M 16Mb Cache KS Serial ATA2 WD5000AAKS

Already have a power supply, mouse and keyboard need an upgrade so going for a Razer combination, seeing as I already have a Mantis Control Pad, the Lycosa and Lachesis should compliment this system well. As far as headphones go, I have an old pair of Sennheiser HD570's around, as well as a newer pair, the HD595's. Current sound card is XFI XtremeMusic, case - I'll use what I got.

Cheers guys

For a heavy gamer, I might get a 10,000 or 15,000 RPM harddrive IMO. But if you don't have the cash 7200 RPM is fine.

But the specs look good.

BTW Welcome! :)

What price jump are we talking from a 7,200 to a higher speed though?

Also what are the advantages/benefits of having a faster speed hard drive?

Cheers again ;)

That's sacrificing $70 for 350GB less space, and faster loading times? I might be a heavy gamer but I'm really not worried about waiting a few seconds longer for a game to load. Thanks for the suggestion though, maybe I'll invest in 1 in the future and boot from it and use it for gaming, alongside this current one.

I was wondering about the RAM, any point going for 4GB of cheaper DDR2800, instead of my current choice? The timings are what matter in gaming is it not?

NUDGE. I have to get some comments on this please guys I'm wanting to buy this in a day or two, why the fuck does nobody ever reply to my threads, do u people not like my name or some shit? Fucking hell, are PERSONAL OPINIONS that hard to come by these days?

NUDGE. I have to get some comments on this please guys I'm wanting to buy this in a day or two, why the fuck does nobody ever reply to my threads, do u people not like my name or some shit? Fucking hell, are PERSONAL OPINIONS that hard to come by these days?
wow chill man.
you will se a big differance with 4gb ram.

Shit, cool it dude. If I were you I wouldn't be wasting like $75 more on a 8800GTS when the 8800GT is only a couple of FPS slower, an unnoticable difference. Also, if you're getting the E6850, you might have noticed the quad core Q6600 is basically the same price, maybe a little more, definatly get it as quad cores are the future for CPUs. And just so you know the human eye can't see anything less than an 8ms response time so the extra money you'll spend on that 2ms monitor will be wasted. With the money you could save from the monitor and the 8800GTS, you could get another 2gigs of RAM or maybe go SLI with two 8800GTs, then you'd just own everyone else's PC on here. I recently installed another 2gigs in my rig and I really notice the difference, I'd
heavily recommend it. As for the brand, G-skill are nice, but I prefer Corsair, especially if you're going to OC.

Now that's what I'd expect, thanks fellas.

In terms of the quad core instead of core 2 duo point raised by worshipme -> all the benchmarks and reviews I've read only conclude 1 thing.. and that is clearly that the core 2 duo performs better in games, with heavy use of applications and multi tasking insanely, a quad core I guess would be suitable, but I'm after best inner game performance. Does it not then make more sense to go with a core 2 duo? Really interesting take on the monitor though... once again I've only ever heard impeccable feedback about it. I'm aware of the different panels they use in it as well, but I'm sure I can find an 'S' panel around, just to be sure. I'm coming from a 17" CRT Flat, so I really think the 2ms response will make a difference, maybe not - still just a really nice screen.

db4rt -> What 4GB of ram would you suggest instead of the 2GB I have chosen?

Cheers !

Back
Top Bottom