Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-18-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6
Default New Laptop suggestions

Hi everyone, I am new to this website, and I am just looking for guidence in buying a new laptop. I am starting college in August, and I want a good laptop for my work. I really want a IBM ThinkPad T60, but I don't know if that is too much for what I will use it for. I really want ne kind of IBM ThinkPad, but I am open to any kind of help you guys/girls are willing to help me with. Thank you.

-Russ
__________________

ThriceRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:34 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 572
Default Re: New Laptop suggestions

ok, this is exactly what im doing (my brother is about to start college and needs a laptop).

first of all, you wont find a deal better than dell, performance per dollar, dell wins by miles.
HOWEVER let me know your budget and needs, if all you want to do is play games, use microsoft word, listen/download music, and watch movies than there are plenty of alternatives to dell.

BUT if you are looking for the BEST performance laptop out there dell is the only name.


so can you please tell me your budget, computing needs, and the college you're about to attend (dell gives good discounts for certain colleges)
__________________

Zaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:43 PM   #3
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6
Default Re: New Laptop suggestions

Ok, I am just going to a Community college in Tulsa. I will need it for my homework, and fast internet access. I will mostly be using my comp at home for games, but i want alot of memory for my laptop. My budget i believe is in the 1000-2000 range. My grandpa is going to buy it for me, but then i have to pay him back in payments.

So yea, mostly word and stuff like that. But I want it to be fast, and have alot of memory. Thank you
ThriceRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:54 PM   #4
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 572
Default Re: New Laptop suggestions

go to
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...=E1705S2&s=dhs

change the cpu to t2600
change os to media center ( i think that should be good for you)
add media center recovrey disc
change screen to 17 inch ultra wide xga
change memory to 2 GB 667 mhz
change hard drive to 80 GB 7200 rpm
change video card to 7900 GS
change sound to integrated creative audigy

and add any thing else that you want to,
when you get done configuring everything add to cart, and in the coupons enter this coupon 77XSMW7Q1C4KD4 (it will save you $750)

the system listed above costs only $1806 with that coupon.
Zaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:27 PM   #5
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6
Default Re: New Laptop suggestions

Thank you so much man...but that seems a little bit high for me. Can you try and make it cheaper? Like I want the Microsoft office added to it. Is a warrenty worth it?
ThriceRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:41 PM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,887
Default Re: New Laptop suggestions

Okay, you don't need that big of a screen. You also don't need a 7900GS. And, you probably don't need a Creative Audigy (though that would be nice to have if you plan to listen to music some). Also, you might could go down a step on the CPU. Keep in mind I didn't look at the link Zaki provided, so if some of this sounds weird, it is because I didn't look.
Jamxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6
Default Re: New Laptop suggestions

omg, i despise dell to the fullest extent. I hate their laptops and the desktops.. except for their higher end gaming desktops. But still, do yourself a favor and DONT GO WITH DELL.

Go to www.newegg.com. and check out their laptop section. They have really good prices there, and DONT CARRY DELLS. I personally like this laptop by ASUS.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220021
Its currently $1800, and has a $200 dollar rebate.

It has an Intel Core Duo 1.66ghz Processor, 512mb of RAM, 100gb harddrive, Dual Layer DVD burner, wireless A/B/G, 12.1in wxga screen, built-in bluetooth, 4in1 media card reader, built-in 1.3mp camera, and is a very sexy "ipod" white. Its very mobile, only weighing 3-4 pounds. Its like sex in a little casing if you ask me.

So yeah, if youre looking for something mobile, I would deffinetly recommend this. Its very good for the price and ASUS makes high quality products.

But if you want to go with dell, whatever. Just trying to help
sicknasty413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:52 PM   #8
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 572
Default Re: New Laptop suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicknasty413
omg, i despise dell to the fullest extent. I hate their laptops and the desktops.. except for their higher end gaming desktops. But still, do yourself a favor and DONT GO WITH DELL.

Go to www.newegg.com. and check out their laptop section. They have really good prices there, and DONT CARRY DELLS. I personally like this laptop by ASUS.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220021
Its currently $1800, and has a $200 dollar rebate.

It has an Intel Core Duo 1.66ghz Processor, 512mb of RAM, 100gb harddrive, Dual Layer DVD burner, wireless A/B/G, 12.1in wxga screen, built-in bluetooth, 4in1 media card reader, built-in 1.3mp camera, and is a very sexy "ipod" white. Its very mobile, only weighing 3-4 pounds. Its like sex in a little casing if you ask me.

So yeah, if youre looking for something mobile, I would deffinetly recommend this. Its very good for the price and ASUS makes high quality products.

But if you want to go with dell, whatever. Just trying to help
12 inch is no good for gaming.
here is a link for a great deal, acer laptop with loads of features and a step below the dell config:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115258
Zaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:59 PM   #9
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 572
Default Re: New Laptop suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThriceRox
Thank you so much man...but that seems a little bit high for me. Can you try and make it cheaper? Like I want the Microsoft office added to it. Is a warrenty worth it?
ok i reconfigured it with microsoft windows xp home edition, with a 2.0 ghz cpu instead of 2.16 (not going to make a huge difference for you), still the top 2 gb ram, top 17 inch screen, top video card (you'll really be glad you paid the extra amount for a good video card, and of course the audigy (what good is gaming or movies with crappy sound?
AND i added the microsoft office package,

all for $1691
Zaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:07 PM   #10
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,887
Default Re: New Laptop suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThriceRox
I will mostly be using my comp at home for games, but i want alot of memory for my laptop.

So yea, mostly word and stuff like that. But I want it to be fast, and have alot of memory.
I don't think he's going to be using this for gaming very much. He does not need the 17 inch screen nor the 7900.
__________________

Jamxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0