Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-22-2005, 12:47 AM   #1
Golden Master

Lightbulb New laptop suggestions

I'm looking to buy a new laptop. What do you guys recommend? I don't plan on spending more than $1,500, but it's ok if I go a bit over for the features. Is Dell the only way to go? WHat other companies carry good laptops? Need recommendations for places to get them.

I don't see a lot of laptop that carries AMD CPU. Perhaps for laptop sake, a Pentium processor would do fine? I plan to watch movies on there, listen to music, running photoshop, playing games (of course), but mainly just doing school work.

Old 07-22-2005, 01:49 AM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: New laptop suggestions

OK, let me restate this. Which is better: Pentium M or Pentium 4 Mobile?

Old 07-22-2005, 01:50 AM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to jac006

Pent. M. That's intel one good cpu. cool and pretty fast. But I say amd's turion is better than the pent. M.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:55 AM   #4
Golden Master

I have to admit the Turion I don't hear too much. What would the primary difference in performance be between the Pentium M and the Turion? Also, you know of a good laptop manufacturer that carries those?
Old 07-22-2005, 01:59 AM   #5
Golden Master

For the turion... the difference is 64 bit and I guess it conserves power really well and is cool. HP/compaq carries them and so does acer. Pent. M's are everywhere...
Old 07-22-2005, 02:12 AM   #6
Golden Master

I was just reading this article relating the Pentium M to the Turion and it looks like the Penium M is the one they are siding on.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2374&p=2

It's so hard to decide what kind of laptop to get or what manufacturer. Laptops doesn't upgrade well. If Turion is 64 bit, then that has to be good while Pentium M is still running on 32 bit mode. Maybe I'll consider HP/Compaq, Toshiba, IBM, or Dell.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:17 AM   #7
Golden Master

Yeah, it's a really new cpu, it just came out like a few months ago... they don't know it's capabilites yet, it's so new. Get an IBM, if I were you. Nice secure, industrilaized comps, with that sensor that sences when the labtop is falling so that the comp saves data before it hits the grounds and breaks... so crazy. And the fingerprint reader and the extra layer of security... man. nice comps. But hp/compaq, dell, and toshiba are all contendors too, there's competition. Toshiba makes some good labtops too. If not those, try fujitsu or acer. Good company's too.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:48 AM   #8
Golden Master

I just bought my new laptop today. It is a Compaq Presario V2000 series with the WXGA high definition widescreen monitor. So good. It uses the Turion 64 mobile CPU, but it draws more juice than the Pentium M Centrino. It uses the ATI Radeon Xpress 200M chipset with integrated 128MB video memory.

The Pentium M still owns right now. Don't get the Turion 64 just yet until you use it in conjunction with Windows Vista.