Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-20-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default new laptop problems

ok so i have a new dell 1520 and the last few times it has been starting up really slow and sometimes it boots to a white or black screen and all you see is the cursor. also my recycle been on my desktop has gone missing how do i get it back? im running vista home premium

Old 08-20-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to drumthrasher Send a message via MSN to drumthrasher Send a message via Yahoo to drumthrasher
Default Re: new laptop problems

Don't know about the other problems, but for the recycle bin, right-click your desktop>Personalize. On the left side, go to 'Change Desktop Icons', then check the Recycle Bin box.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:28 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to MooseMan

Has it always been running this way since you bought it or did this come up randomly?

To get your recycle bin, there is a program called TweakUI which should be able to give you the option to remove it from the desktop, so I would assume you can use it to make the recycle bin return as well.

You problem sounds like corrupt system files to me though, you may want to run a check disk and see if it finds any errors, when you do, make sure you check both boxes in the dialog box and restart your computer. It will take a while.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to FlightSimBoy

heres how you get the recycle bin back:
1. right click on desktop
2. click personalize
3. click Change desktop icons on the left hand side of the window that comes up
4. click the box beside Recycle bin if it is not checked.
thats it!

And i honestly dont see a reason why your lappy is starting up slow. if the specs in your sig are correct, the only thing i can think of is a "minorly" corrupt OS, but dont hold me to that. Do some things like virus scans, and defrag the hard drive.

__ahhhh, edit____ 2 people beat me to explaining how to get the recycle bin back, so credit goes to them for fixing that.
My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
FlightSimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
In Runtime

lol....thanks guys i will do a check. i should not have any viruses cause i have not downloaded anything with the lappy yet. i was thinking of reformatting and doing a clean install of vista but im not sure if that will void my dell protection plan. and no it just started randomly
Old 08-20-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
BSOD

Sorry, I remember how to but I forgot. Compman does but o well.

Dark Night is offline   Reply With Quote