New Laptop Advice

seventhwave

Beta member
Hi everybody

I'm looking for a new laptop to tide me over while I wait for my friend to get round to building me a new desktop pc. I've been looking around but finding it hard to pin down exactly what i need and what the best deals are. I'm looking for a pc I can use for some amateur music recording (using Cakewalk Sonar), general internet use, dvd burning etc. Also it would be a plus to have an HDMI out, but only if the computer is capable of playing high definition video files, not sure what you need for that.

At the moment I'm looking at two around the £450 mark:

http://www.svp.co.uk/laptop-desktop...gb-w7-home-premium-156inch_toshiba-01102.html (This is still available from Tesco although I think it may have been discontinued)

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-2403.aspx

I'm interested in the Acer but noted that it use shared graphics - there is a similar model on Pixmania that has an ATI graphics card at a slightly higher price. Will I need something like that for HD videos? I'm not too bothered about running games on this machine.

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Mike

Thanks Ohm, I'm going to go back to where I saw them both tomorrow, the Toshiba was in a clearance sale, so it will depend if it's still there! Do you side with Toshiba for build quality/reliability or just cos of driver hassles with Acer? I've heard mixed reports regarding Acer laptops but Toshiba stuff seems pretty dependable.

I got Acer laptop (6530G) with dedicated video card and it has HDMI output. It has 64 bit Windows 7 on it and seems like it would work for your uses. I don't know what price would be for you but mine was under $700 last year.

Thanks Pegazuz, that one seems to be a little bit more expensive new than the others I'm looking at and I'd rather have the larger hard drive than the blu-ray drive.

thanks for the advice guys, does anyone have any other recommendations, any better deals than the two I have found? thanks

Back
Top Bottom