New laptop

What the hell ever happened to the memristor? Is that technology in development still? Is that going to come with the graphene revolution? Imagine eliminating boots entirely. Your computer stores all of that relevant info in memristors and that data persists even when the computer is turned off. Thus, you turn on the computer and it goes right to the desktop instantly. The pace of technological development/innovation in consumer electronics is slowing and I don't like it.

Still two years away.

Actually, I think that the pace of technology as a whole is still going strong, however, priorities have shifted-- batteries are (rightly) the new focus, as well as RF data communications (wifi, cellular) and compact computing technologies ('smart' phones, tablet computers, wearables). Desktop computing and gaming is no longer an up-and-coming platform, and so we will see fewer new graphics cards, hard drives, and such.

Games are likely to become more platform-agnostic, which is good, as long as that platform runs Apple, Microsoft, or Android operating systems and will be connected to the internet. Standalones are on the wane.

It appears your system came with an Intel i5 processor. The latest and greatest processor are Intel's i7-6700 series called Skylake. Also, if you're planning on doing any gaming I'd suggest you return it if you can. The 930 graphics card is recommended for 13" laptops and is only a low to mid-range graphics card. Which means, it terrible for trying to play games. The laptop you purchased is considered a "multimedia" laptop, but again, the graphics are of a poor quality and I wouldn't consider my "multi-media" to be able to be viewed very well.

As far as the noise, its most likely your fan, which from all I've read shouldn't be making such a racket. If you plan on keeping it, take it in to make sure the fan blades aren't hitting something which is causing the noise.

Also, if it were me, I'd reinstall the entire system from scratch. Too often, removing parts of programs doesn't actually remove it all the way and some programs share files, so by removing it causes issues. If after reinstalling it from scratch and you still have the same issues....I'd suggest returning it quickly.

Still two years away.

Actually, I think that the pace of technology as a whole is still going strong, however, priorities have shifted-- batteries are (rightly) the new focus, as well as RF data communications (wifi, cellular) and compact computing technologies ('smart' phones, tablet computers, wearables). Desktop computing and gaming is no longer an up-and-coming platform, and so we will see fewer new graphics cards, hard drives, and such.

Games are likely to become more platform-agnostic, which is good, as long as that platform runs Apple, Microsoft, or Android operating systems and will be connected to the internet. Standalones are on the wane.

I mean things are still developing but they could be done faster. It all comes down to both supply and demand, but also funding/profit. I understand the graphene thing. We still need a more efficient mass production system for it and chipmakers want to stick with silicon until we can no longer shrink it (that will come in the next 5 years when we hit about 5nm). That money mentality prevents further development. If Intel and AMD focused more heavily on graphene, we'd have graphene chips far sooner. The same goes for battery tech. Sure it's gotten better but it could and should be way more advanced. We've been on rechargeable lithium ion batteries for what? at least a decade perhaps more. Let's get aluminum air batteries going. There's university research projects working on it currently (working on upping voltage last time I checked) but if major battery manufacturing companies had invested more heavily we'd have them by now I'm sure.

For gaming there is still lots of work that needs to be done. Game files are enormous and ridiculous. How about a new compression system so that these files aren't crazy huge? Let's reduce load times. Let's get graphics cards that can run 4k and let's make 4k more accessible. There is plenty of 4k content on youtube and I can rarely ever access it on my 4k tv (and my home internet is 150mpbs down). That's absurd. More money needs to be spent on these sorts of things instead of funding military research (I'm looking squarely at you F-35). The US is so far behind on broadband infrastructure its pathetic. Things are moving pretty quick but not quick enough with regards to all sorts of technological advancements.

Rant over haha

Back
Top Bottom