new laptop

here_is_gone

In Runtime
my dad just got a new business laptop, and i was wondering if theres any way to password protect files (he has XP pro). thanks

so i would put the files in a folder, compress it and password protect it? when i right click the folder are there options like compress and password protect or something like that?

here_is_gone said:
so i would put the files in a folder, compress it and password protect it? when i right click the folder are there options like compress and password protect or something like that?

Yes, exactly. To compress a folder, right-click the desktop or inside any folder, and choose New, Compressed Zipped Folder. Give it a name next. Open Windows Explorer and select the folders or files you want to password protect. Use the right mouse button to drag the items into the new compressed folder. When you release the mouse button, choose Move Here. (If you left-drag, only copies will be added to the compressed folders, leaving the originals unprotected.)

Choose File, Add a password in Windows XP. Type your password in the 'Password' and 'Confirm Password' boxes, and then click OK. From now on, only users who know the password will be able to open, extract, copy, or move the files and subfolders to another folder. Windows will prompt you for your password before permitting any of these actions. If you send the folder to people who don't have Windows XP or Me, they can uncompress the folder using a program such as WinZip, but they'll still need to know the password before they can access the contents. It's basic security and I'm sure there are people that can get around this, but will take them some time to hack into it.

Back
Top Bottom