New home built computer running slow

PublicEnemy

Solid State Member
I just built a new computer, 2gigs of ram, a Pentium D dual core processor 3.0ghz and a Nvidia geforce 8600 GT GFX Card. Oddly enough, the computer has been running really slow and its getting really annoying. What I want to know is if there are any problems or reasons that may be associated with this. Ill add a Dxdiag for anyone that cares to help

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OSH3TSZ2

If you haven't put anything important on it yet personally I would just reformat to cover all bases.

What OS are you running? Mind posting your hdd specs? Could be registry problems. Download and run registry cleaner and look for errors. The free version will tell you how many errors their are. Post the results here. You'd have to pay for the full version, but if you don't want to do that you could just reformat and itd fix that.

try running a defrag in accessories, also try this program its free http://www.ccleaner.com/
how much hdd space are you using? try desabling some programs on start up to speed up you boot time, run an AV and ANTISPYWARE progrm aswell.

What AV are you using, Norton and Panda hog the system dramatically Ive stopped using there products now.

I just installed everything on the computer yesterday, still no AV yet. Im going with kaspersky which I have already. I also haven't downloaded anything except the essentials, so it should'nt be running slow. I think it may be a hardware problem but who knows.

In the motherboard specs it says it doesn't support the manufacturers of the ram I purchases, but it does recognize the RAM via task manager.

Supports dual channel DDR2 533/667/800, using four 240-pin DDR2 DIMMs
well it supports the type of ram that you got, i dont think it matters the brand name of them. so i doubt that thats it =D

He said he just reformatted, so its not a virus. Lets drop that. Probably doesn't need to defrag the disc since its a new install.

Only possible way I could see it being a virus is if he had an infected secondary drive that hes not reformatting. Is this the case?

Have you been using multiple anti virus software? Many different anti-virus protection software conflicts with one another, and can cause the problem as described.

Try and get ahold of your temperatures also, Everest Home edition can do this. There are also several other programs to obtain live temperatures of your computer.

EDIT: Also what OS are you using, XP or Vista? Just curious...

Back
Top Bottom