New Hdd, Need Help Please

Heatproofjimmy

Solid State Member
Hi.

I have jus bought a HDD, as i have ran out of space on the other one. I need to get it working and need some help.

Ok, i have found a website telling me exactly wot i need to do, can you skim threw it and check its accurate?
The link is http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1059&page=1

I have 2 problems tho, number 1 is that i dont fully understand the boot disk setup, and i dont have a floppy drive, how can i overcome this problem?. Number 2, im not sure which way round to put the jumper, it says on my HDD which way does what, but ealier i put it as slave, and when i turned my pc on it didnt no which one to use or sumit. I just want it to be a hard disk which i can add data to or take it off like the other one, what would be the name of this?

Basiclly, i need the jumper the right way around, and need to get into the "fdisk" setup on comand promt. PLEASE HELP! THANKS, JAMES!!!!!

Well just set the jumper as slave then all you should have to do is just make sure it the boot order is right in the BIOS. As long as you have the master one set for first it should work. Right? I have never actually done this so hopefully someone here will actually know for sure.

Well for the jumpers you have to read the stickers on each hard drive

Set the jumper on the new drive as slave. Then boot into xp normally like you always do. Then right-click my computer>>manage>>disk management>>select the new drive (should be with a black bar indicating unactivated/unformatted) then right click it and format it. It should then format and enable you to use it as a data storage drive.

Oooo we gotta love that Dell Dimension 3000. I had one, complete bitch to add new HDD'S... I hated it so much

Wait for the master, dont some hard drives have to be set to MAster with slave? i think mine has an option like that.

CrossCech said:
Set the jumper on the new drive as slave. Then boot into xp normally like you always do. Then right-click my computer>>manage>>disk management>>select the new drive (should be with a black bar indicating unactivated/unformatted) then right click it and format it. It should then format and enable you to use it as a data storage drive.

Ive just tried it, on startup it said it cudnt find drive 1, and so i continued, i then tried logging on, but wen i did, all i got was my wallpaper, ive tried this twice. :(

Right

Primary HDD jumper set to Master
New HDD set to Slave

make sure ide cable isant mixed up at all...

if that doesnt work, put em both on cable select..

Back
Top Bottom