New HDD: 7200rpm or 5400rpm?

SweetBe

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

I'm going to be buying a new 2.5" HDD soon for my uMBP, since the one that I'm using right now is throwing bad sectors all over the freaking place (I've only owned this thing since early September).

Newegg is the website of choice for me (unless anyone knows of a cheaper site).

I'm thinking about getting a 7200rpm drive over a 5400rpm drive, because from everything I've read, they're considerably faster. I game, do video editing, etc, so any speed increase would be welcomed. But, I also read that it can get hotter, vibrate more, and decrease battery life. I don't know how much it would decrease battery life, but I'm never unplugged for more than a few hours. Heat isn't really an issue for me, but it may be an issue for the drive? Since it'll be going in a laptop that I do carry around (very rarely while it's one), should the extra vibration be an issue? If there's a drop or something (the sudden motion sensor), the uMBP should turn it off for a few seconds anyway.

I'm also looking for something that'll last more than 4 months :D. I don't plan on getting a Hitachi drive. I can't seem to find a Samsung 7200rpm 2.5" drive.

So, with the pros and cons shown, what do you guys think I should go with?

If you really need speed aim for a 10,00 rpm. But I wouldn't go for anything under 7200, even my slave drive is 7200. They are quicker and that is always nice.

Ok, 7200rpm it is :D.

I'm just not sure which one to get. I don't really need a 500GB (I have 320GB which is fine, but more would be sort of nice), so the minimum I'm looking for is 320GB.

I've been reading a lot of reviews for 7200rpm drives, and, for a lot of people, they seem to be failing within 5 months. I don't want that to happen to me again.

I have had my 7200 160gb drive for over a year, and my 1TB 7200 drive for 6 months. No problems to report yet.

Ok. I'm just a little paranoid. This stupid 320GB thing has bad sectors everywhere and its been less than 5 months. Can't even watch a movie that's on the hard drive without getting I/O errors and all that junk.

I was doing a scan for bad sectors/block today. The hard drive was only 10% scanned and there were over 77 bad sectors.

Jeez, just go for a name brand drive with good review ratings and you should be fine.

Thats not a bad drive. Just make sure to take care of your laptop so that way you won't smash the drive.

They found that temperatures on the cold side had higher drive failures. There is a slight reversal of the trend at high temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom