Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-16-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default New Harddrive Recovery

Ok, I have a question....My harddrive died on my comp, so I went ahead and called up HP because I was curious as to how I was going to get all the software and drivers back, and they had told me I could buy the HP recovery, which would include XP, the drivers, the whole deal, BUT, I HAVE to buy a harddrive the EXACT same size as the one that died...And I began to thinking, thats kind of crappy, because the obvious thing to do here would be to upgrade....Now they told me I could go this route, OR if I just had to upgrade to a larger drive, they're recovery cds will not work and I would have to buy all the software for the computer on my own.

Is this true?....Im still wondering what would happen if I went ahead and bought their cds and attempted to install it on a larger drive than what they told me was a must........

AmericanSensei

AmericanSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:29 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to connchri
Default Re: New Harddrive Recovery

Well, Microsoft OEM (the MS software you would have got with your PC) EULA basically states that the software bundled with your PC is for that PC for it's operational lifetime.

Even though your hard drive has went bust, you are still intiled to reinstalling Windows and the bundled software onto the new HDD. All you need to do is get hold of software discs to reinstall it.

MS gave IT companies discounts if they did not supply the original OEM discs to the end user, to try and cut down casual piracy, but in this case you need them. I would in your case, use a peer 2 peer network such as lime wire and download the software, installing it with the licence key that you should have recieved and still own with your computer.

Basically HP is trying to fuck you over here. Before you do try downloading anything, try the system restore discs you have on a new Hard Disc Drive, they might still work after all anyway.

Old 03-16-2005, 09:40 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Unhappy

Why can't Recovery Cds just come standard again....Lol

AmericanSensei
AmericanSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 05:23 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Default Re: New Harddrive Recovery

I think you can order Recovery CDs in America but in NZ... %#^$ THEM!! Anyway try looking around www.hp.com