Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-27-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
Fully Optimized
Default New Harddrive Finally Here! Need to Partition and Dual Boot XP and Vista

Well, I finally got my new shiny 750GB Seagate today :-) I need to partition it for future use with vista, but current use with XP as I don't have vista yet as I'm still refusing to make the switch without first trying it on someone elses computer :-)..yes I'm stubborn. So my question is more of just a double check. I need 4 partitions. I need one for XP, a second for Vista, a third that I like to use for really large files (like home movies, etc) and another for music and documents and such. To this right I need to:

Make a partition for XP
Make a partition for Vista
Make an extended partition out of the rest of the space
In the extended, make a partition for my large files and then a second one for my music and docs

I say to make an extended just incase I would ever want ANOTHER partition for whatever reason since I believe the max partitions without an extended one is only 4? and with the extended it is 8 partitions max?

Just need to shine some clarity on the subject here, folks.

Thank you much, as always!

Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.4GHz || GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 || Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 || EVGA GeForce GTX 480 || Samsung EVO 256GB SSD
my feet get cold and that gives me diarrhea sometimes - Smart_Guy
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
Send a message via AIM to drumthrasher Send a message via MSN to drumthrasher Send a message via Yahoo to drumthrasher
Default Re: New Harddrive Finally Here! Need to Partition and Dual Boot XP and Vista

Seems fine to me.
Gateway GT4016 Desktop | CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ @ 2.2GHz | RAM: 2GB (4x512MB) | HDD: 1x200GB, 1x120GB | Video: ATI HD Radeon 4850 512MB | OS: Vista Home Premium x86 SP1, Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6
drumthrasher is offline   Reply With Quote