New harddrive

ghosty

Baseband Member
Hi all
I was thinking of buying a new harddisk but i was told a harddisk's price and how good it is actually dependent on the RPMs and the buffers. I know what RPMS is ...what how actually do the buffers influence the price and quanlity of the harddisk?

i was thiking if getting a 7200 rpm IDE harddisk 160GB 8MB buffer.
as my second harddisk. any suggestions?

i thought maxtor was o.k. it was on a sale, its a 160 gig 8mb buffer and 7200 RPM and it wa only 70 bucks, so i guess i got a good deal, atleast I think so -_-

MAXTORS Stink!-never buy a maxtor.
western digital,samsung,ibm,segate

Buffers allow faster harddrive operation-similar to a cpu cache

It really depends. I've heard of people using Maxtors and never having trouble. The only brands I would go with would be Seagate, Maxtor, Western Digital, and Hitachi.

i've never had trouble with maxtor. had a 60 gig and sold it along with my old system. still worked perfectly.

when you are getting into the newer and bigger HDDs, i'm pretty sure they will always be 7200rpm with 8meg buffers. i might be wrong though. if they make 160gig hhds at 5000rpm.... hehheh.

ya I was thinking of going along with Western Digital, my first hdd is a raptor and damn its good.. but i need a second one with like more space for downloading stuff..

Gary:
oh i see thanks..never did know that buffers are like caches..ahah thanks

Back
Top Bottom